World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm afraid i have to ask a really obvious question as i'm new to fishing and am not doing very well so far. I've been float fishing and whenever i get a bite and the float shoots under the water i give the rod a good tug but i never seem to be able to catch the fish. What is it i'm met to do when the float starts bobbing in and out of the water? Is it right to give the line a pull or should i just leave the fish to bite down on the hook itself. :confused:

·
Registered
16 Posts
try using the lightest float you can cast to the fish, this will reduce the fish that let go because of the resistance.

Don't let too much loose line to your float and you should strike into more fish

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm new as well Prawnware, so I am no expert. However, two questions that come to mind are 1) are you covering your hook point, and 2) what size hook are you using. If there are only small fish about they might nibble at the bait. but not be able to take the hook. Just a couple of thoughts, the experienced boys might say it doesn't matter, but it might help.

Fred

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Perhaps you are fishing over depth with your float? This means that the line from your float is too long and some of it, with your bait is lying on the bottom. This would be OK in a river but in the sea your bait is very attractive to crabs! It is possible therefore that when your float slowly disapears under the surface that it's not a fish!! Quite often when you tighten up the crab will ultimately let go when he feels he is being towed to the surface!

Try using Braid (which does not stretch) rather than Mono. (which stretches) Braid gives you instant contact with your fish.

Try NOT STRIKING but leaving the line and watching the float. If it is a crab it will stay under!!!!! but won't move much (Always a chnce however that Mr. Crab will take your hook under a stone and snag you up!)

If it's a small fish the float will come up and the process will be repeated as the small fish 'worry' the bait!

Try putting on smaller hooks and/or slide your float down a little. The other alternative is to put on bigger hooks and large amounts of bait which will attract BIGGER fish and last a little longer with Mr. Crab! Good luck!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts