World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Orkney Strikeliner 16, 16+ Fastliner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if one of you guys could put me straight.

I need a boat! I have fished from the shore for the last 10 years and now want to get out on the water and catch some lunkers.

My budget is 5k ,for this I need a boat with a cuddy, trailer and engine.
There are plenty out there however I am confused.
Which is the best boat for my budget, over 16 foot?

By Best I mean will comfortably fish with 2 anglers and 3 at a squeeze.
Will venture safely a little way off shore no more than 10 miles!
Is safe (I know you may say your only as safe as the pilot but I am safe, overly safe!).

Do I save a little more money and go for a Predator or Warrior 165 then save some more and get an engine!

Or do I go with a Little Orkney?

I originally wanted a 520 however that is out of budget, well what I really want is a Dayangler!! But you cant have everything you want 8-(

Am I correct in thinking the 16+ is the updated strikeliner 16? Whats the difference?

Is the best of the bunch below the Strikeliner 16+?

Orkney Strikeliner 16,
16+
Orkney Fastliner.....
Longliner
Fast fisher blah blah

What is the difference between these models.

A lot of questions and if you do take the time to respond I really would appreciate any advice given.
Many thanks,

Pete

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
from your list above, the longliner wont be much good for you as is will only do about 6 knots dosnt matter which motor you have on it, (displacment hull ). but i do like the orkneys. mates got a 19ft fastliner great boat with LOTS of room.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
from your list above, the longliner wont be much good for you as is will only do about 6 knots dosnt matter which motor you have on it, (displacment hull ). but i do like the orkneys. mates got a 19ft fastliner great boat with LOTS of room.
Thanks mate, I must admit I do like the Orkneys and they have a proven Pedigree.

I appreciate your input.

Pete

·
Registered
497 Posts
I used to have a Strikeliner and now have a Warror 165 but wouldnt go back to the Strikeliner unless I was only ever planning to fish closer inshore and shortish distances from the launch point.
The Strikeliner is pretty slow now by normal standards although in its favour will run happily along on a 25hp engine and burn relatively little fuel.
Its a semi displacement hull which means it wiil not really skim across the water surface as such and in anything more than a hint of a choppy sea will be pushing through the sea-rather than skimming over it-whereas the Warrior type boats are planning hulls and will skim across medium size waves with reasonable comfort and speed.
Any more than two people was very cosy indeed in a Strikeliner but three is comfortable in the Warrior (or Predator/Samurai style boats)
Depending on your budget and expected costs for a days fishing, I would opt for the Warrior type boats as you will undoubtedly get more adventurous as you gain experience and are likely to want to venture further afield when conditions are suitable.
I would hazard a guess but it would likely cost close to twice as much to run a Warrior than a Strikeliner.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to have a Strikeliner and now have a Warror 165 but wouldnt go back to the Strikeliner unless I was only ever planning to fish closer inshore and shortish distances from the launch point.
The Strikeliner is pretty slow now by normal standards although in its favour will run happily along on a 25hp engine and burn relatively little fuel.
Its a semi displacement hull which means it wiil not really skim across the water surface as such and in anything more than a hint of a choppy sea will be pushing through the sea-rather than skimming over it-whereas the Warrior type boats are planning hulls and will skim across medium size waves with reasonable comfort and speed.
Any more than two people was very cosy indeed in a Strikeliner but three is comfortable in the Warrior (or Predator/Samurai style boats)
Depending on your budget and expected costs for a days fishing, I would opt for the Warrior type boats as you will undoubtedly get more adventurous as you gain experience and are likely to want to venture further afield when conditions are suitable.
I would hazard a guess but it would likely cost close to twice as much to run a Warrior than a Strikeliner.
Many thanks Moray for your detailed reply.
I tend to agree with you (I do like the Warrier 165) this however adds a lot more money than I had planned. A warrior 150 is a little closer to my buget but I am not sure how that compares...

I could always buy a Predator 165 now for a little over 5k and get an engine a month or 2 later, but I know what I will be like with a brand new Boat and no engine!!!

Plenty of research ahead I think!!

Thanks again mate,

Pete

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yes a difficult choice-but I agree - the frustration of a boat without an engine would be difficult to live with.
See if you could perhaps contact a local boat club and get to know some of the members and I am sure they would be keen to help and invite you to have a days fishing with them and try out one or two different boats.
Also unless you are in a hurry wait until Winter and you are more likely to find people selling complete packages of boat/engine etc and you could get a reasonably valued package for around your budget price.
Try and get someone to go with you though that has a bit of knowledge and has some experinece of boat owning.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes a difficult choice-but I agree - the frustration of a boat without an engine would be difficult to live with.
See if you could perhaps contact a local boat club and get to know some of the members and I am sure they would be keen to help and invite you to have a days fishing with them and try out one or two different boats.
That is a good idea, I think I may just do that.
I am enjoying looking though at the minute there are so many boats out there on the Internet, window shopping is good but now I want the real thing, I am going to PM you a link of a boat that really interests me never heard of them before but maybe you have...?

Cheers mate,

Pete

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Many thanks Moray for your detailed reply.
I tend to agree with you (I do like the Warrier 165) this however adds a lot more money than I had planned. A warrior 150 is a little closer to my buget but I am not sure how that compares...

I could always buy a Predator 165 now for a little over 5k and get an engine a month or 2 later, but I know what I will be like with a brand new Boat and no engine!!!

Plenty of research ahead I think!!

Thanks again mate,

Pete

Take a look at the Seahog range of boats. For around the £5k mark you should get a good second hand one with trailor, engine and all the electronics and probably have enough left over for your insurance. :thumbs:

Good little boats.

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
hi..i can only go on my experiences of being a boat owner...it is completely different from going out on someone elses boat than your own..pleasurable yes..scarey yes....2 years down the line and i am still not 100% comfterble with the whole process.....before spending thousands on a boat and not liking it..go for a cheaper boat and engine package few a few months .not a pile of [email protected] but some that is usable.. and see then you can save for something better and have some experience and a part exchange..the worst thing to do is wasting your money,,as boats simply just drink it..i want a better boat now i have had two already in two years,,so beware..it can lead to empty pocket syndrome. not once but many times over...what ever you choose be safe and cautious,,and if in doubt dont do it....andy..

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
go for a warrior 150
look around you will get a full set up for that money
I think he'd struggle to get a good condition 150 & full set-up inc trailor for £5k iseaall

Most of the good ones I've seen in that class tend to be around the £7k mark.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
hi..i can only go on my experiences of being a boat owner...it is completely different from going out on someone elses boat than your own..pleasurable yes..scarey yes....2 years down the line and i am still not 100% comfterble with the whole process.....before spending thousands on a boat and not liking it..go for a cheaper boat and engine package few a few months .not a pile of [email protected] but some that is usable.. and see then you can save for something better and have some experience and a part exchange..the worst thing to do is wasting your money,,as boats simply just drink it..i want a better boat now i have had two already in two years,,so beware..it can lead to empty pocket syndrome. not once but many times over...what ever you choose be safe and cautious,,and if in doubt dont do it....andy..

Lot of truth in what Andy says. Even a small boat can sometimes be quite a drain on your finances and a good rule of thumb is to expect it's annual running cost's to be around 20% of it's purchase price.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Take a look at the Seahog range of boats. For around the £5k mark you should get a good second hand one with trailor, engine and all the electronics and probably have enough left over for your insurance. :thumbs:

Good little boats.
OK Mate thats another for the list!

Cheers,

Pete

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lot of truth in what Andy says. Even a small boat can sometimes be quite a drain on your finances and a good rule of thumb is to expect it's annual running cost's to be around 20% of it's purchase price.
Thanks for that, however there is no issue with finances running the boat I have just budgeted myself on the purchase. I could spend 4x that if I really wanted to however I have a nasty habbit of spending more than I should and this is my first boat after all.

E.g I went out to buy an old landrover last week to pull my boat, what I actually ended up with was a top of the range Nissan Navara Aventura! Great tool though!

Keep the tips coming though they are all appreciated muchly.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe I should wait for you to renew your latest boat!!
Do you have a recommendation from your last 2 years of trying?

Cheers mate,

Pete

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Thanks for that, however there is no issue with finances running the boat I have just budgeted myself on the purchase. I could spend 4x that if I really wanted to however I have a nasty habbit of spending more than I should and this is my first boat after all.

E.g I went out to buy an old landrover last week to pull my boat, what I actually ended up with was a top of the range Nissan Navara Aventura! Great tool though!

Keep the tips coming though they are all appreciated muchly.
hi ..just another point..sorry to be a downer..but in truth the money spent on a boat as i have learned is not so much how much it cost but how safe and seaworthy it is ..the two are completely different ..i had a landor as my first boat dis hull and slow..but i felt safe and secure in it...the hankering for more speed and distances i got a pilot cath hull boat..nice boat goes well but im more nervy in it than my old landor...cost 3 times as much....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hi ..just another point..sorry to be a downer..but in truth the money spent on a boat as i have learned is not so much how much it cost but how safe and seaworthy it is ..the two are completely different ..i had a landor as my first boat dis hull and slow..but i felt safe and secure in it...the hankering for more speed and distances i got a pilot cath hull boat..nice boat goes well but im more nervy in it than my old landor...cost 3 times as much....
A Fair point, I will be concentrating on safety.
However the newer boats do appear to follow the same trend as cars the newer they are the more stringent the testing becomes and the safer they have to be (I may be wrong!).

I have had a lot of great input here from you guys that I will consider when I go to purchase. I certainly do not want to run before I can walk and intend on taking a couple of RYA courses before I even go near the sea with it.

I think the plan is go have a look around a few Marinas, try and get out on a coulple of the models that I like hopefully not in ideal conditions and then make my mind up as to which is the safest for the money and allows enough room to fish 2 possibly 3 comfortably.

Once again thanks guys,

Pete

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Maybe I should wait for you to renew your latest boat!!
Do you have a recommendation from your last 2 years of trying?

Cheers mate,

Pete
hi.. from what i have seen two boats fit the bill for my next but its ONLY my view..based on what i have seen and have been advised on thats a raider or a sea hogg trooper

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hi.. from what i have seen two boats fit the bill for my next but its ONLY my view..based on what i have seen and have been advised on thats a raider or a sea hogg trooper
Good luck with your purchase when you go for it.

Cheers,

Pete

1 - 20 of 66 Posts