World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ladies and gents, ive got a marina GT 16 and find it's great on flat calm days and with a chop however sadly it's too small for my needs and it's been a very good first boat.
I'm in search of a bigger boat now, 20ft to 24ft needs to be trailerable.
I have £5000 no more.
I need something that can carry and fish 3 adults comfortably
I don't mind inboards but needs to reach at least 20knots
Must be a stable platform.

Boats I've already seen via internet are as follows:-

Wilson flyer- ( heard amazing stuff, also been told not too touch, I've watch T.A Fishing over and over and love it but slightly put off by people saying don't bother with them )

Icelander 18 - I know it's not 20ft but the deck space looks very nice, and even tho looks ugly in my opinion, seems to look like a fast stable boat.

Picton kingfisher 18 - Again looks like a fast stable boat but I need people's experiences.

I know it's always best to go and have a test drive, however some of these boats are the other side of the country. I'm south wales, two of those boats are just past London. So I'm searching for people's honest experience. If you can think of another boat I should look at within my budget (£5000) then please message.

Thankyou in advance for any help.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Wilson flyer- ( heard amazing stuff, also been told not too touch, I've watch T.A Fishing over and over and love it but slightly put off by people saying don't bother with them ).
Don't know why you have been told this, but the Wilson flyer is a good stable boat, and fast too (because of the hull type).
There is a couple of things tho with them such as freeboard a little low, and the build can be a little "flimsy" (IMO), but all that can be rectified very easily.
Also they can "slam" a little on the plain, but once you get used to not having a deep V hull that "cuts" through the waves it's brilliant.
My Task Force is 17' and you wouldn't believe the amount of "good, usable fishing space" there is on it.
It's a very stable hull design that's not a million miles away from the Flyer.
I for one would recommend a "Cathedral hulled boat" over some of the other types :)
P.S. A pity you haven't got the budget, but Garyflyer builds Wilson's (the bigger one's that is) and there great boat's ;);):D

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Again alot of people have said they not very good at anchor, if two people on same side of boat it tips quite easy and as I do take my 8 year old boy out as a parent I'm wary of that. However I'm just going by people's word, I do need to find one close to me and view and test. Been told the Picton kingfisher is built for the Bristol channel which is where I fish, so that's happy days. Wilson flyer I've loved since being hooked on T.A Fishing show lol

·
Registered
833 Posts
Surprised by that, but then I have not been on one (Icelander).
I fish the BC and have done for 30 + years, always found Wilson type hulls (Cathedral) to be VERY stable at anchor over Mono hulls and wouldn't want any other type to be honest (just got to get used to the "slap" they can get).
Maybe you should come out with me off Burnham on Sea codding (if we get a cod run this year :BigGrin:) and see for yourself ;)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is this slap / slam people go on about? My boat deep v in rough conditions slams ( mainly cos I keep throttle down ) but deep v ain't perfect. I also understand there's no perfect boat especially on my budget lol
I know in chop my deep v will out do a catherdal hull but flat calm days catherdal hull will out do me it's just pros and cons,speed ain't everything and the slap noise I guess can be fixed by music radio turned up lol

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hahaha I don't have music on my boat, any way.... the "slap" is mainly when at anchor the waves coming up the boat "slaps" on the underside of the hull as there is a "void" because of the hull design. Deep V don't have that as such (think of the hull as this shape "roughly" ..... vVv ...... ) The wave comes up between the "v's" and slaps.
Without going and getting a "pic" that's the best I can do Hahaha

·
Registered
833 Posts
No prob's bud :)
I know in chop my deep v will out do a catherdal hull but flat calm days catherdal hull will out do me
That's only because the Cathedral you were "racing with" ;);) couldn't handle the noise you do get when putting the hammer down in said chop (don't usually worry me tho :BigGrin:) :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
447 Posts
ive seen some of garyflyers boats cant fault them apart from the free board but a good set of rails will sort that out for a small boat its amazing how much deck space there is ,the high fly bridge can cost a bit of speed and burn a bit more fuel due to the wind resistance but its very nice to have somewhere to get out of the wind,rain and sun

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ive seen some of garyflyers boats cant fault them apart from the free board but a good set of rails will sort that out for a small boat its amazing how much deck space there is ,the high fly bridge can cost a bit of speed and burn a bit more fuel due to the wind resistance but its very nice to have somewhere to get out of the wind,rain and sun
Yeah I agree with having shelter from wind and rain and don't mind losing knots for a bit of comfort. It's a shame I can't get one of Gary's builds price range doesn't allow it so it's an older flyer I'd be getting

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
IMHO Orkney Fastliner 19 with a 40hp o/b - I had one for 10 yrs. Let it go foe p/x - I think I got £5.5k inc trailer

·
Registered
833 Posts
I used to be "the crew" on a Fastliner 19 a long time ago and what I didn't much like was the "curve" up the freeboard (you had to "lean" from foot position to rail if you wanted to stand there with rod in hand) and it was a little "rolly" at anchor.
Still a nice boat with good sea keeping qualities tho, and only my opinion :)

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
They look like they roll? I could be so wrong never researched them or been in one but I'll have a look now
Cant say rolling was ever a problem - prob as quite a low Centre of Gravity (the boat, not me!). It was a great first proper boat for me. Good build quality, lots of space. When I changed up the 3 things I decided were a must for the new boat were self draining, rollercoaster type trailer and 4 stk ob but none of these were fault as such, just extra features I wanted on the replacement. Worth a look

1 - 20 of 33 Posts