World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi sorry if i'm not supposed to do this but was recomended to post on the south west section instead of where i posted it origionally. Hope someon can help.....

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and new to fishing. Anyway I hope you can help me or give me some advice. Started fishing about 3 months ago and all I have caught is 1 makerel. I have spent a fair bit of money and lost countless rigs, floats etc. I have been getting advice from a local Fishing shop and advice on places to fish for example newquay headland, Droskyn point at perranporth and also stack near falmouth. I am mainly after bass but have yet to catch one let alone catch anything. I have a 11" Bass rod and fixed spool and also a spinning rod and reel. I have been told to use a pulley pennel with size 4/0 hooks and i also have spinning plug. I am fairly good at rig building now but not at fishing it seems.

I would just like some advice as i'm not getting much of a reward out of it although i do still enjoy going out.

It also seems that people i ask all say different things for example you should have fished after high tide or fish up to high tide, or should have fished a spring tide. So I try what they say and still nothing?????????????????????

P.s. Sorry to rant but it gets frustrating

p.p.s Great website by the way.

G

·
Hiya mate, I know nowt, except that everyone has their own preferences (often very stubbornly so!). I'm learning you do what works (or not!) for you. Hopefully some of the lovely lads will be able to let you tag along on their trips. so you can have fun exploring.

I think you'll find a lot of people have been blanking recently - something to do with lots of surf and pants )NOT my fault!) weather...

I've found in my tiny experience the point is to have fun, and try, try, try again. And again... And again... One day you WILL be rewarded.

And if all else fails, I'll buy you some chocolate.

I look foward to reading some CATCH reports at some point. And until then, WELCOME!!!

Love Pants :wiggle:

·
Registered
913 Posts
welcome to the forum:thumbs:
i an sure the jethroes will come out of the woodwork very helpfull competitive bunch down in corwall ?:fishing1:

when they get in from catching all the fish that is:bleh:

seriosly their are some good forum members near you that will be more than willing to give you some time and help ?:fishing1:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Once you crack it you'll wonder why it all seemed so hard. If you just want to catch some fish I think a 4/0 pulley pennel is not the best rig, it's more of a big bait big fish rig. I'd try a one up one down flapper with size 1 or 2 hooks, it'll give you a chance of pretty much anything. And I'd go for lug or rag as bait.
But by far the best thing you can do is go out with someone who knows what they're doing or at least if you see someone else catching go over, watch what they're doing and ask lots of questions, most fisherman are quite happy to chat especially if they're catching well! You'll learn 10 times as much just watching someone who's catching than you will just guessing on your own.
Hope you soon get some fish, and when you do let us all know how you got on!
Best of luck
Cheers
Tipper

And what's all this "Love Pants" eh Phrunts, guys only been on here 5 mins, I've never got a "Love Pants" from you. :schmoll:
Or are you just saying how much you like undergarments? :bleh:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi and welcome
Im fairly new to the sea fishing world so im learning all the time like yourself. I get out as and when i can mainly around newquay and just try anything I can. I had my first bass not so long ago spinning sand eel off of newquay Head.
If ever you want to get out Pm me and ill see if im free.

·
Registered
93 Posts
hi mate
dont give up,it will get better:fishing1:
bass fishing is worth the effort,
1 st thing is bass like rolling white water(not pitching waves) so look for that
2 my preference is for a sliding 90g grip weight with single 5/0 aberdeen type hook.
also look for rocky gullys,at first you will think you will lose all your tackle but you dont,keep hold of your rod,and you get different bites but generally wait until they pull your bait then pull back,dont strike at the first tap,
and probably the most important move around,if you dont get a bite in 20 mins move to another gulley.
try to get fresh bait ie peeler crab,sandeel or makerel.
if you up bude area pm me and if i am around will go fishing,:fishing1:
dont lose heart they have been elusive for the last couple of weeks,up here anyway:ph34r:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi mate, I was in the same situation a few months ago, just started fishing, got all the gear, all the advce, read everything on the good old interweb, still nothing!:yucky::schmoll:
Eventually was given a handy bit of advice, Bass are very hard to find, let alone catch, and by selectively going out expeting to catch a few every trip I had unknowingly picked the hardest fish to target!, on that advice changed my tactics and went to Porth Kerris, i think that was what it is called, down St Keverne way, you have to pay £2 tp park, and £2 to fish, woth it though, paid no attention to the tide, was just a lovely hot sunny Sunday, speant all day fishing, pulled in macky, pollack, wrasse, and a garfish, nothing great really, just helped me build back my confidenece that were actually fish out there! recommend you try somthing similar, will help motivate you again to try for a Bass.
I have now managed to catch two so far since I have been fishing in the last few months, along with a few decent Turbot, and recently hooked into several 2-3lb Bull Huss, that was exciting! (sharp teeth, rough skin, I knew a few ladies much like that a few year ago!:icecream:).:clap2:
Good luck, and if you are from Mid Cornwall way feel free to PM me, i now fish anywhere between Newquay and the Lizard, love it!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Curse has been broken. Went out on the Roseland and was catching Wrasse all day. Caught a beauty after about an hour not sure how big but was about the length of my forearm lovely colours. Went to get my camera and didn't charge the battery before I went out so no picture, very disapointed but was really pleased with the days fishing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
hello mate, just reading about porthkerris. Ive been there before thought the place was really nice. Must admit didnt catch anything but that doesnt supprise me, story of my life so far. anyway like to go down there again sometime? After some advise if poss, Im new to the forum and are greatfull for any advise. cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts