World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old furuno GP 80 (about 12 years old) i have never changed the internal battery, which holds the memory when switched off, and i believe its life is about 5 or 6 years, And i was wondering if it is possible to change the battery without losing my fishing marks and plotted lines, routes ect.

·
Banned
8,293 Posts
Try this it may help.
Sorry can not put link up, but I typed in furuno gp 80 in search and manuals are there to download.
Might tell you in there.

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try this it may help.
Sorry can not put link up, but I typed in furuno gp 80 in search and manuals are there to download.
Might tell you in there.
i got manual for it but it dont say if possible or not, i was hoping to be able to leave 12volt power to set, then change battery, but if i get it wrong i lose about 12 years of data, i have wrote down many of my marks, routes ect, but i got plenty of tracks i needed, but hey thx for the effort anyway.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
It should be ok, your unit will lose its memory of where it is but it will relocate on start up. I had an old MLR DGPS that had a flat internal battery. It took a while to fire up and find its location in the world but all my marks were safe.

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It should be ok, your unit will lose its memory of where it is but it will relocate on start up. I had an old MLR DGPS that had a flat internal battery. It took a while to fire up and find its location in the world but all my marks were safe.
my mate's set lost all its marks ect, when his internal battery went flat, mind you it wasnt a furuno, cant remember what make it was tho.

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thx for that, just to update you, i phoned furuno, and they basicaly said what you said, except that if the internal battery fails i wont be able to interface with radio, radar, ect as it will give wrong information to these systems, something to do with the date and time being wrong and no way of correcting it, owing to it being an older machine. he also said as you suggested it will take a lot longer to start up (if internal battery goes flat) but when it does find the satellites ect, then your marks, waypoints, routes ect will be safe, as i have no intention of interfacing this old machine, im going to do as he says, if its not broken dont fix it, i will check that i have doubled up on my other machine (and write down) all the important information i have in this old furuno gp 80 so thx to ev that helped me regards skint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts