World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if any of you fellas could give me any info on (where to get) (or what is best) a ladle or a small cast iron saucepan for pouring lead. Also what size strips do you cut your lead into to put it into the saucepan for quicker melting.
I have a 5oz dca mould if this of any help. Never made a lead in me life, but am aware of all the safety aspects of it.:thumbs: in advance:)

·
Banned
431 Posts
m8 once you have made the lead weight becareful as the mould will still be hot so get some welders gloves

·
Registered
326 Posts
Just wondered if any of you fellas could give me any info on (where to get) (or what is best) a ladle or a small cast iron saucepan for pouring lead. Also what size strips do you cut your lead into to put it into the saucepan for quicker melting.
I have a 5oz dca mould if this of any help. Never made a lead in me life, but am aware of all the safety aspects of it.:thumbs: in advance:)
Hi John.
Hopefully DINOBOY will read this and give you some advice.
Have seen his set up and can confirm that he is a one man smelting machine;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I melt it in a small cast iron sauce pan. I have a few fire bricks from a night storage heater that i use to create a furnice like stand and then use a blow torch under the pan to melt. Obviously the smaller the bits the quicker they melt and once you have a pool in your pan then the larger lumps will melt quicker. I also used a hammer to make a small pouring lip on the pan so it doesnt go everywhere. The leads will cool really quick, meaning you can open the mould up after only a few seconds but be careful as they are still warm enough to burn your hands. Also after melting a fair bit of lead slag will build up in the pan. Just scoop it out or it will block the hole in your mould while you are trying to pour in the lead. Have fun matey, hope this helps.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've always used an old, small aluminium milk pan that has a pouring lip. When you're dealing with lead, the lighter the pan, the easier it is to control, so don't get too ambitious with the size of the pan. It's no good having 3 pints of molten lead in a cast iron pan and not being able to pick it up! Please make sure you have no trapped moisture in any folds/creases of your scrap lead. Water + molten lead = disaster!!!:nono: :nono: Don't bother putting any grip wires/loops in the first 2/3 pourings, as when the mould is cold, the lead will cool too quickly and not fill the mould completely or form creases and make the lead look ugly. Just leave the lead in the mould a little longer than you would normally so that the heat transfers from the lead to the mould. Once upto temperature just keep on going. If you need to take a break for a minute or two(for whatever reason) just leave the last lead poured, in the mould, so that it doesn't cool down. Be careful and happy pouring!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I use a gas camping stove , twin ring , aluminum milk saucepan the size of the gas flame ring , and a ladle.Bolt the ladle head on as a lot of them are soldered.Run the gas rings on a 4.5 kilo bottle , one bottle lasts about 3 years.The spare ring can be used to warm the mould before use.I have metal handles on mine and use welding gloves.All the bits are cheap from car boots including the moulds , I have seven types , all for less than a fiver.
Make a couple of hundred weights a year for pennies.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Use a plumbers ladel to scoop the lead out of the pan into the mould - that way you dont have to move a pan full of molten lead !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:) many many thanks for all the info ya all much appreciated, off to get a few bits tomorrow and start making a few. thanks again :thumbs:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Look on ebay for a company called Tackletraders they can supply most items and are very helpfulRobert and Debra Miller
Tackletraders,
24, Dunmere Rd,
TORQUAY,
TQ1 1LR
United Kingdom

Tel:+44 (0)1803 294095
Email: [email protected]
tight lines and good luck

Ian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts