World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Most fun from Bait or Lure?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I'm trying to get away from bait during the summer months and learn how to use my lures (getting to old to carry a big box around lol), if anyone, anywhere along the North Wales/ Anglsey would like company on a Wednesday or Thursday ( I'll even drive :) ) I tried last year to learn on my own but didn't really have a clue how to "work" a lure and blanked every time. Just throwing lures out without a clue didn't work. I always seam to see threads about the Bass on lures but I'm sure other species (pollock, etc) are catcheable using them, would love to learn how to use the Lure more effectively.
Geordie

·
Registered
822 Posts
I would find it hard to believe that some of the very experienced lure fishermen on this forum would not try and help out someone needing a little time and company.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Can't really help with the bass, as I can't find any. The only advice I would give in this case is go anywhere but where I'm fishing.
As for Pollack, they seem shy at the moment too. Should get better as it warms up bit.

·
Registered
182 Posts
their is no golden secret to lure fishing / and a would doubt very much that anyone will offer to meet up and give away marks they lure fish unless its someone that knows you.
lure fishing is all about trial and error ie how fast or slow you retrieve / choice of lure ie deep diving / shallow diver / surface and poppers / metal spoons / and then the thousands of soft lures / then the big thing is which lure to fish for the chosen area and the makeup of that spot.

this is just a brief description on how i would set out to learn.

best way to enter the lure world is to start with soft plastic lures around 2"-4" size rigged weedless as it is relatively trouble free / big fish will take a small lure but small fish are hard to get on large lures {see youtube for this } and just walk along a rocky or weedy stretch of shore line adjusting the speed of your retrieve till you have covered the area in front of you then walk on a bit and do the samething in doing this you should gain a lot of insight as if fish are present at some point you will either get a fish take or see a fish follow as you retrieve the lure / ALWAYS KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE AREA OF THE LURE YOU ARE RETRIEVING. for signs of movement [ either fish following or spooking them ?
a lot of fishermen think lure fishing is as simple as seeing fish and then chuck the lure to them its not most times you are just working an area that you think or hope holds fish and have a couple of casts around that area keeping your eyes open watching for any sign of movement if nothing then move on a bit and start all over again.

also you have to think about the fish you intend to target ? are they on the bottom / mid water or surface feeding

once you gain some knowledge with the soft lure you can then move on to fishing the other different types of hard lures / that take a lot more understanding to use properly with trebles that get well stuck if you just chuck anywhere .

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi mate. First thing I will tell you is, typically lure fishermen are a very secretive group.
their is no golden secret to lure fishing / and a would doubt very much that anyone will offer to meet up and give away marks they lure fish unless its someone that knows you.
lure fishing is all about trial and error ie how fast or slow you retrieve / choice of lure ie deep diving / shallow diver / surface and poppers / metal spoons / and then the thousands of soft lures / then the big thing is which lure to fish for the chosen area and the makeup of that spot.

this is just a brief description on how i would set out to learn.

best way to enter the lure world is to start with soft plastic lures around 2"-4" size rigged weedless as it is relatively trouble free / big fish will take a small lure but small fish are hard to get on large lures {see youtube for this } and just walk along a rocky or weedy stretch of shore line adjusting the speed of your retrieve till you have covered the area in front of you then walk on a bit and do the samething in doing this you should gain a lot of insight as if fish are present at some point you will either get a fish take or see a fish follow as you retrieve the lure / ALWAYS KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE AREA OF THE LURE YOU ARE RETRIEVING. for signs of movement [ either fish following or spooking them ?
a lot of fishermen think lure fishing is as simple as seeing fish and then chuck the lure to them its not most times you are just working an area that you think or hope holds fish and have a couple of casts around that area keeping your eyes open watching for any sign of movement if nothing then move on a bit and start all over again.

also you have to think about the fish you intend to target ? are they on the bottom / mid water or surface feeding

once you gain some knowledge with the soft lure you can then move on to fishing the other different types of hard lures / that take a lot more understanding to use properly with trebles that get well stuck if you just chuck anywhere .
There is a lot of good info in the above post, but I would argue that from reading your post you are not looking for someone to put you on their best bass marks, which is a taboo subject to say the least. There is no substitute to being shown how to present a lure and what ground to swim it over, as they say a picture is worth a thousand words, and I find it hard to believe that others on here were not given a helping hand along the way.
I am also struggling to find the bass this season and with snow, wind, sleet and all in between its not easy going at the moment. Pollock on the other hand are much more obliging and I would argue much more prolific. I would be happy to accompany you out for a session and share tips on lures and tactics. Choose any of the deep/ish rock mark that are on the marks section of this website, on or around Anglesey that you have caught fish on with bait, and we can revisit with the toothpicks and maybe put you into a pollock or wrass.
That should put you on the right direction, then its down to you to extend on.
I am far from being an expert, but I was lucky enough to have a member from this forum take me out when I first picked up a lure rod, and I would be happy to do the same. Pm me for contact details.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m planning to go to the north of Anglesey this Friday, as the omens look good for a spot of early afternoon fishing – I’m not expecting to catch much, it’s more to do with getting out with “a chance of catching something” - some-times it’s about the fishing, not the fish.

Happy to take you along and show you the different techniques and types of lures, no need for tackle – I’ve got stuff here I haven’t even used yet – but bring what you’ve got anyway.

We’ll be on stable ground, relatively weed free, and within easy walking distance of the car – not expecting any tackle losses, unless you “over cast” – but heck, we’ve all done that at some time or another.

PM if you’re up for it – but it has to be Friday ……….

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m planning to go to the north of Anglesey this Friday, as the omens look good for a spot of early afternoon fishing – I’m not expecting to catch much, it’s more to do with getting out with “a chance of catching something” - some-times it’s about the fishing, not the fish.

Happy to take you along and show you the different techniques and types of lures, no need for tackle – I’ve got stuff here I haven’t even used yet – but bring what you’ve got anyway.

We’ll be on stable ground, relatively weed free, and within easy walking distance of the car – not expecting any tackle losses, unless you “over cast” – but heck, we’ve all done that at some time or another.

PM if you’re up for it – but it has to be Friday ……….
Hi buddy, thank you for your offer but only have wed and thurs off work how did you get on?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi mate. First thing I will tell you is, typically lure fishermen are a very secretive group.

There is a lot of good info in the above post, but I would argue that from reading your post you are not looking for someone to put you on their best bass marks, which is a taboo subject to say the least. There is no substitute to being shown how to present a lure and what ground to swim it over, as they say a picture is worth a thousand words, and I find it hard to believe that others on here were not given a helping hand along the way.
I am also struggling to find the bass this season and with snow, wind, sleet and all in between its not easy going at the moment. Pollock on the other hand are much more obliging and I would argue much more prolific. I would be happy to accompany you out for a session and share tips on lures and tactics. Choose any of the deep/ish rock mark that are on the marks section of this website, on or around Anglesey that you have caught fish on with bait, and we can revisit with the toothpicks and maybe put you into a pollock or wrass.
I am far from being an expert, but I was lucky enough to have a member from this forum take me out when I first picked up a lure rod, and I would be happy to do the same. Pm me for contact details.
Thank you for your help, i'd like to take you up on this soon, are you available on a wed or thursday sometime?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Sai, i'm not sure how to PM on here, could you pm me and I will reply thank you again.... you're right btw... i'm not looking to find out peoples sectet marks... i can find my own.... i just need help on how to present and work a lure. Thank you again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Decided not to go in the end – tide was right, but the wind wasn’t – and if the wind is in the wrong direction it affects the fishing, especially around here – doesn’t help that it’s usually blowing 20 or 25 mph here too – it’s OK if you’re on the bottom, but gets in the way when you’re using light lures – it can even throw a one ounce lure off course

Predicting the weather on Anglesey can be tricky – you only have an idea of what you’re facing the day before from the forecasts – it’s the same as for boat fishing – plan the trip, but only expect the skipper to call it the evening beforehand

However, I’m retired now, and live locally, so it’s no big deal for me – but for you, you’ll have to learn to live with the unpredictability of the situation

Not sure when the tides will come back around, probably around the 26th – but won’t know what’s happening weather wise until the day before

Less than ideal tides for fishing, so don’t expect much action – but if you look at this as a “training exercise” it still has merit. I’d suggest meeting up at noon, trying out different techniques and gear for an hour or so – then shifting position to put it into practice – pack up at 7pm (as I said earlier, the tides are less than ideal)

But you’ll be able to practice with different lures at different depths, and see them as they come in – see how they act in the water and adjust your technique – once we move it then becomes a matter of luck, and practice

Sometimes it’s the first cast, sometimes the last cast – sometimes you’ll either blank or catch until the novelty wears off

I’ll get in touch closer to the day if you’re still interested ……..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts