World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After continual slipping on both my surfmaster 850's (what rubbish reels - nothing like the old 70s) last night, I have finally decided to jack free spools in and get two new multipliers. But I have no idea what to look for. I'm new to using multi's so ideally an easy to use reel? Budget wise probably about £150 a reel (maybe £200 at a push), but i'm really not sure what to go for. I've read about magnet brakes etc, but have no idea what it's all about! If somebody could just explain the basics of a multiplier to me, I would be really thankful, sorry for the ignorance, but I'd rather ask and look stupid than fork out money for a reel that will be no good.

Many Thanks,

Matt

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
hi dude,

seing as you're in Devon i'd guess you fish a mix of rough and clean ground, something like a daiwa saltist 30H (don't get the TH) is well within your range (around £130 or less), superb reels for the rough stuff, cast well and fast retrieve. very controllable reels.

if you want something that'll cast further then there's the penn 525 range, pretty much as above but, with mag control too. downside? pretty hard to tame / get the best out of them if you're not used to multi's,

clean ground only? abu 6500 mag elite or the newer version with the 6:1 retrieve. very user friendly.

Hugh

some more info here on the saltist
http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115867&highlight=saltist+review

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Talk to your local tackle dealer, explain what type of fishing you are doing and on what type of beach. He can advise you better than on here. The Okuma magnetix are decent reels for £59.99

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Budget wise probably about £150 a reel (maybe £200 at a push)
If you want a magnetic braking reel in that price range and are fishing rough ground you can get the Avet SX MC 5.3:1 from Rok Max for £172.50. If you are only fishing clean beaches a cheap but good choice would be to look for a second hand green 6500 Abu Mag Elite CT. You can pick one up on ebay in excellent condition for around £50. All you need to do is upgrade the standard drag washers to carbon washers for about £10. I believe you can get the carbon washers from Keens Tackle. Here's a picture of the Avet SX.

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
I love the penn 525 mag, easy to use and hardly ever get a birds nest except when I forget to set it up properly. My hubby used to use an egg beater but forgot it one day and had to use my mag, he has never gone back to the egg beater. Have you got any buddies who could let you have a go with different ones so you can work out what suits you.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Hi ya, need to decide where your going to fish,if on clean ground then you cant go far wrong with a 7ht, I got one as my first multiplier casts straight out of the box with no dramas,you can tune them if your into that sort of thing, but they can get it right out there as is.And with your budget you can get two!
Burt.

·
Registered
798 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Forget the Okumas' and other cheaper reels Crazy Plums has got it spot on if you're after a pair go for the Daiwa STT30H saltist it's a cracking rough ground reel and a 525 mag extra or super mag and you can't go wrong.

G

·
forgive me for being confused, by you have a 7 ht mag as your favourite reel, therefore you only need an allround reel, as suggested, a Saltist, either a 20H or 30H

1 - 14 of 14 Posts