World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alot of you will know that Dad and I have struggled to get out since the Pow has closed and I have noticed that my old man since losing that venue has struggled to get the enthusiasm back although he goes he is not really putting the effort in.
So whilst I look for a new Pow for him to fish from I thought I would try a venue with a toilet etc at Herne Bay that Methers on here suggested, West Beach Herne Bay.
However I have never fished it before so wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction on rigs etc.
My initial approach was going to be a one up one down 2 hook flapper hook size1/0.
Second rod was going to be a running 3/0 or Pennell for Rays Bass etc
Please could someone advise if I am on the right track and if 1/0 for Dabs etc are too big and how much time before high tide you get so that I can plan driving time etc.
Also are doggies often caught there as that is one of dads favourites.
I thought Sheerness was going to be our place but Dad I think struggles with the beach and has had a few falls there where as H/B seems a shallower slant.
My thanks in advance as usual to you all.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
First off, are you near the North Kent coast ??
The reason I ask is because there a lot of venues that the old boy could fish with ease, and standing on stable ground with very little walking involved.
Most of the venues I am thinking about will fish 2.5 hours up and 2 back so you only get 4.5 hours unless it's a spring then you can get 5 hours overall without getting to much weed.
Strong Northerly winds are a problem on this part of the coast especially at the venues I have in mind.
Summer can be a nightmare along this part of the coast for weed though, so I tend to move over to Deal etc.
Rob

·
Registered
161 Posts
Have you considered Deal pier?
It has always been a good choice for youngsters learning to fish and the less mobile.
Good facilities too, toilets, cafe, good tackle shop at the entrance. You don't have to venture right to the end unless you wish to. The landward end where the shingle meets the seabed can often throw up a suprise or two particularly at night.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Had a match at herne bay west beach a couple of weeks ago. A fair few doggies were caught along woth a couple of raymondos. The water hit the shingle about 3.5 hours before high water. Nice venue. I'd go a little smaller on the hook size for the dabs, maybe size 2

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I wouldn't bother if I were you!! Fished 3up n 3down last night near there with 3 rods on the go and a mate with two rods just up from me.
22 pin whiting between us. Useless!!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I wouldn't bother if I were you!! Fished 3up n 3down last night near there with 3 rods on the go and a mate with two rods just up from me.
22 pin whiting between us. Useless!!
Well done Ben.......at least you didn`t blank....lol......sorry mate, couldn`t resist:)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Well done Ben.......at least you didn`t blank....lol......sorry mate, couldn`t resist:)
Fished kings hall Sunday and did tho!!
....in fairness I stuck with big hooks and baits, was determined to find a ray but couldn't.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First off, are you near the North Kent coast ??
The reason I ask is because there a lot of venues that the old boy could fish with ease, and standing on stable ground with very little walking involved.
Most of the venues I am thinking about will fish 2.5 hours up and 2 back so you only get 4.5 hours unless it's a spring then you can get 5 hours overall without getting to much weed.
Strong Northerly winds are a problem on this part of the coast especially at the venues I have in mind.
Summer can be a nightmare along this part of the coast for weed though, so I tend to move over to Deal etc.
Rob
Hi Rob
Apologies for the late reply,we are actually in Medway Towns but to my Dad thats not real fishing this way lol.
We used to fish Deal Pier before the Pow but it means taking my electric trike in the car as I cannot do the walk from the car to the third shelter etc.
I am trying to get him to do Hythe as we can fish there at any state of the tide but thought Herne Bay West Beach would be an ideal second venue due to him requiring a toilet.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If you want a toilet, dog fish and not casting great distances , parking and hard standing then maybe you should try st Margrets bay at cliffe.apparently some good fishing there,I would suggest having a look at low tide just to suss out where the rocks start and snags begin.i just think it might be worth a go for 4-5 hours of high tide.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
I reckon he means Ramsgate harbour. You can drive onto that.
Definitely The Harbour Eastern Arm. Very wet if there is a strong on shore wind.

You can also do the same out of the car at the Ramsgate Western Undercliffe venue which is onto chalk ledges and gets very few reviews making me think its one of thise "secret" marks!. see pics here
http://www.worldseafishing.com/foru...-western-undercliff-sand-at-docks-end-a.5130/
Again gets wet if there is a strong on shore wind

Check out the area on Google Earth Earth to determine the wind effects

St Margarets Bay also is pictured here , just needs you to look for it. http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/media/users/gonefishin.1994/albums

·
Registered
629 Posts
As per Keith 's (Gonefishin)post above I fished St. Margarets on Monday 1 up 2 down and was able to sit in the car with coffee and sarnies once I had cast out. Didn't catch anything mind but the last visit to exactly the same spot resulted in whiting, rockling, pouting and dogfish and a BIG BITE but I snagged and lost it.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Definitely The Harbour Eastern Arm. Very wet if there is a strong on shore wind.

You can also do the same out of the car at the Ramsgate Western Undercliffe venue which is onto chalk ledges and gets very few reviews making me think its one of thise "secret" marks!. see pics here
http://www.worldseafishing.com/foru...-western-undercliff-sand-at-docks-end-a.5130/
Again gets wet if there is a strong on shore wind

Check out the area on Google Earth Earth to determine the wind effects

St Margarets Bay also is pictured here , just needs you to look for it. http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/media/users/gonefishin.1994/albums
Was the cafe open Pete?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Pete, a couple of points.
1 On the subject ofbig whatsits, have you seen the thread B&Q Scam?
Perhaps you should get your Diamond Card a bit sharpish
and
2 Why is it that every time someone says Tesco I see a vision of Dick Turpin?
(Shades of Reginald Perrin's mother in law)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts