World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have been fishing a little while and have mainly targeted mackerel, flat fish, small codling and the sorts. I am interested in catching some larger fish like bigger pollack and cod, as well as sea bass hopefully. I have never caught anything above 5 pound or so from the shore so I would love any tips as well as marks in the area from Newbiggin down to Sunderland. Thanks, Alex.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Most folks would be more than happy with fish up to 5lb from the shore here in the North East.
Winter, night time, big seas and big baits are usually the best chance of something a bit bigger. Double figure fish are much rarer.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
IMG_0115r.jpg
I usually fish from blyth pier and there are not many big fish there, also, im not sure which rigs to use as they usually tangle or get snagged when im bait fishing
I was just a few 00 metres off there on my kayak, last month, and there were decent cod being caught, big hooks, big bait.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
View attachment 1105129

I was just a few 00 metres off there on my kayak, last month, and there were decent cod being caught, big hooks, big bait.
Do you know where about on the pier would be good for fishing for bigger fish because its usually very crowded at the end. Are there any other good shore spots around which you know of which produce some fish, thanks by the way. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most folks would be more than happy with fish up to 5lb from the shore here in the North East.
Winter, night time, big seas and big baits are usually the best chance of something a bit bigger. Double figure fish are much rarer.
Can you catch any sea bass around here as I would love to catch one and never have before, any marks or tips would be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
Maybe try fishing into darkness. With the water being clear, bigger fish might have more confidence at night closer in, especially on a clean beach like Blyth. Alternatively look for rough ground with a bit of current. Somewhere around the rocks at Newbiggin may be worth a shot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe try fishing into darkness. With the water being clear, bigger fish might have more confidence at night closer in, especially on a clean beach like Blyth. Alternatively look for rough ground with a bit of current. Somewhere around the rocks at Newbiggin may be worth a shot.
Thanks mate, I might give that a shot. When should I go with the tides? High or low of does it not matter so much. Thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
Exactly what Malks said. Different marks, different tides etc. Of course, big fish aren't all that common so maybe worth taking a second rod with you to target the smaller things. At least it should save you from blanking.
Good luck with your quest.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Exactly what Malks said. Different marks, different tides etc. Of course, big fish aren't all that common so maybe worth taking a second rod with you to target the smaller things. At least it should save you from blanking.
Good luck with your quest.
Thanks! Going to be trying early in the morning at high tide soon with big baits. Hopefully something will come of it :)

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I usually fish from blyth pier and there are not many big fish there, also, im not sure which rigs to use as they usually tangle or get snagged when im bait fishing
Cambois beach in the winter you’ll get some really decent cod pollack try Eyemouth or st abbs

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am getting a bit ahead of myself but will be up in Newbiggin around Easter next year and wondered whether anyone had any tips for fishing the bay? My son and I usually fish the sandy beaches off Sutton on sea and the Lincolnshire coast or down on the south Devon coast so looking forward to something a bit different.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Weed can be a bit of an issue. Lots of kelp in the area. Standard rigs work but make sure you take some weak links for the weight. Essential for any rough ground in the NE.
Re-post nearer the time and you'll get a better response with more info :thumbsup:.

·
Registered
600 Posts
If you are interested in catching a bass and you usually fish Blyth pier then you are not far from catching a bass. Come off the pier and walk a few hundred yards along the beach. Pick a spot where theres some breaking waves and cast in amongst them. 1/0 hooks with ragworm baits will eventually catch you a bass. Probably won't be big though but it will be a bass. You will also pick up some decent flounders too along the way. You can catch them any state of the tide but I prefer high tide where the water tends to be a bit deeper and the waves a bit bigger. 30 yards is probably the most you need to cast.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts