World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I receive my student funding on Monday and i'm looking for a bit of advice.
I'm planning on going away for a long weekend with the tent and girlfriend for a spot of shore fishing to try and improve my woeful species list.
We went last year to the Oban area and caught a few Dogfish and Mackies but I was wondering if there is anywhere someone could suggest where we could pitch our tent,be close(ish) to local amenities,within a few miles walk of a train station (and privacy to do a dump in peace :schmoll:).I've had a look at the Dunnolie Castle end of Oban and trawled the threads for a suitable location but any help would be greatfully received.
I'm willing to travel as far as Arisaig or Mallaig (although i realise the weather might be a problem) and like the look of Etive(never fished there) noticed the train to Oban stops at Taynuilt would this be my best bet for diversity of species or will i still get the same species near Oban (spurs etc)? Any advice on rigs/best baits would be great too.

Tight Lines,
Kenny

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Kendo

Taynuilt will probably be as good as anywhere else if it's variety of species you want. I've been fishing this area every week recently and have so far had whiting, pout, lsd small pollack, codling, grey gurnard, mackies, thornie to 6lb and spur to 7 1/2 lb. Most spurs are 2lb - 4lb, lots of thornies around 2 or 3lb. Train station probably less than a mile from loch and you can pitch a tent where the river Awe enters the loch.Taynuilt Grocers (near train station)open till around 10pm and hotel a little further. Mackies can be caught a couple of hours before hi tide but better top take some bait as mackies a bit hit or miss if a lot of fresh water coming out the river. Low tide in darkness best bet as current pretty strong and pushes you into more snags. Pm me if you want more specific info
Cheers 'Cuda

·
Team Hardcore (Scotland)
2,629 Posts
Hello everyone,
I receive my student funding on Monday and i'm looking for a bit of advice.
I'm planning on going away for a long weekend with the tent and girlfriend for a spot of shore fishing to try and improve my woeful species list.
We went last year to the Oban area and caught a few Dogfish and Mackies but I was wondering if there is anywhere someone could suggest where we could pitch our tent,be close(ish) to local amenities,within a few miles walk of a train station (and privacy to do a dump in peace :schmoll:).I've had a look at the Dunnolie Castle end of Oban and trawled the threads for a suitable location but any help would be greatfully received.
I'm willing to travel as far as Arisaig or Mallaig (although i realise the weather might be a problem) and like the look of Etive(never fished there) noticed the train to Oban stops at Taynuilt would this be my best bet for diversity of species or will i still get the same species near Oban (spurs etc)? Any advice on rigs/best baits would be great too.

Tight Lines,
Kenny
I see your investing your Student Funding wisely lol:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
yeah taynuilt is a good shout fished it last friday night had a doggie and a few whiting... but thats etive for you it either fishes or it doesnt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.