World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am off to fish the Rosslare Festival in a couple of weeks and have a fair amount of bait to take that I need to keep frozen for 9 days.
Does anyone have one of those compact freezers / camping freezer that I could borrow from the 9th-20th September? Preferably in West Kent although I may be able to travel a little way if necessary.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
I am off to fish the Rosslare Festival in a couple of weeks and have a fair amount of bait to take that I need to keep frozen for 9 days.
Does anyone have one of those compact freezers / camping freezer that I could borrow from the 9th-20th September? Preferably in West Kent although I may be able to travel a little way if necessary.
Thanks in advance
Hi terry ,i don t have one mate ,but would nt one of them electric cool boxs do it from halfords, bit pricey ,not really a freezer tho so don t know how cold it would keep your bait?

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
It needs to kept frozen really. I have one of the halfords electric boxes but they do not get cold enough.
arh THOUGHT THAT MAY BE THE CASE mate,hope you get one sorted terry

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
The commercial fishers in Australia keep fish on ice for up to ten days, in boxes like the one you have on board, are you sure that will not do the trick?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi John
We used the box last year but towards the end of the trip the bait was past its best, even with lots of ice. If I can not get my hands on a portable freezer then I will have to use it again and try and keep it topped up with fresh ice.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
bring a box or two of unwashed squid over for us, and I will put it in shiela's freezer along with yours, mind you we and it will be in Cobh, a bit of a drive.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bring a box or two of unwashed squid over for us, and I will put it in shiela's freezer along with yours, mind you we and it will be in Cobh, a bit of a drive.
I still have about half a box left (all nicely vacuum packed) but we will be using it all in our efforts to win first place:laugh:

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Hi John
We used the box last year but towards the end of the trip the bait was past its best, even with lots of ice. If I can not get my hands on a portable freezer then I will have to use it again and try and keep it topped up with fresh ice.
You can make your coolbox more efficient if you add more insulation..
Get some 2" jablite (polystyrene) sheet & some strong tape, make a box with it to fit snuggly around your coolbox, cut a lid to fit it as well.

Won't cost you more than about a tenner but will make it much more efficient & only a 15 minute job.. Any builders merchant or DIY store..

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Hi Terry,ive only got a 12v cooler not freezer,but i have got a coleman extreme ice box spare if you want to borrow it.To give you some idea of the size its got 2-3 inch insulation and will just about hold 6 regular bags of ice,if you pack it full with just frozen stuff and leave it somewhere cool it should last a while.I only use it to store extra ice to top up the big chest's when they melt.See how you go ,its a option if you need it.

Ian

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I already have one of those, lol:roll1:
Hope for your sake she aint reading this Terry,ice has been known to have a devestating effect on balls
:roll1:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will have an order from Baits Direct just before we go to Ireland, so will stick it in the freezer for a couple of days on fast freeze to get it as frozen as possible. But even if I kept it in the poly box inside my extra large Coolbox I still don't think it will keep for 10 days.
I could buy a camping freezer for around £100 but would probably only use it once a year, so it is not really a viable option:mellow:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts