World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone........... I am looking for advice/help.

I am considering purchasing a boat, I have handled boats in the past, but have decided that it might be wise to seek professional help and training.
I intend buying a day boat, something in the 16 to 21 foot range, I am based in the North Devon area and I dont wish to become a statistic. I am not going to go to sea until I have all the necessary training and equipment etc.
Question, where is the best place to go to get the training ? can anyone advise please.

·
Registered
408 Posts
As far as training goes, best place to start is with an RYA powerboat level 2 course. It's pretty simple, basic stuff but that's just what everyone starting out should learn. You should also get a certificate of competence in radio telephony which will allow you to use your vhf/dsc radio. Again the RYA run a simple course for this.
Have you decided where the boat will be kept? On a mooring or will you tow it to various locations which may mean launching from beaches and regular trailer maintenance. Do you want to live on board for a night or two or do you just need a day boat? How much do you want to spend???
Plenty to think about but you'll get through it and I'm sure you'll get most of the advice you need from the folks here.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Training is admistered by the RYA so if you check their site you will find an accredited scheme near to you.

http://www.rya.org.uk/

It is expensive and your time and therefore experience is limited by the depth of you wallet. A good way of getting experience is to join a small boat club near to you. You will get all sorts of advice and help there. Try to get someone to go out with you with experience, they can pass on stuff not found in books and be a guardian angel when things go wrong, which they will.

At a small boat club there are always people who will go out on your boat one week and you go out with them the next. You can also join before you get a boat and go out on different members boats, that way you get a propper test and it will help you decide which fits your requirements best.

Good luck, you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You have taken the most important step in seeking proper training before you go to sea. Most people myself included just bought a boat and headed off (although I have since taken a few courses)

I can recomend highly an RYA course, there are many to choose from and you can do 1 or 2 a year untill you feel you have enough experience to deal with the type of situation you put yourself in.

I also agree that joining a club is a good way of getting afloat and having back up when you go out. Also you can get advice from the people that fish your area on what sort of boat is suitable.

I can also recomend getting your boat checked out by the R.N.L.I as you will get a lot of advice on safety at sea.

Best of luck and happy sailing

GB

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, did not expect to get replied to so quickly...... thankyou very much to those who have done so.
I had not considered a boat club...... but an exceptionally good suggestion, I am friendly with a number of boat owners. A little reluctant to ask as I dont wish to make myself look foolish. I know I know we all started somewhere.

Regarding the boats useage, I intend to launch from a trailer on beach or slipway, not intending to sleep on it as such, but who knows.

I used to work for a guy years ago in Jersey, operating a 24' parascending boat, but I am very rusty and I just want to do it right.

Many thanks for your helpful advice.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I have owned a boat for 38 years I wanted a boat, not a bike so my parents got me one at age 12 and off I went. Pehaps not the best way to go but more by luck I am still here.

My son has been out with me snce he was 4 and now he wants his own boat . I did RYA Level 2 in March this year with him (16 year old). If you want embarrasment try that one.

Boat owners genarally like to share skills, those that don't won't offer, if you have the bottle to ask you will get the help you want. A small boat club is the place to meet those that will. Offer to share petrol costs and muck in with the graft of launch and recovery and washdown at the end of the day and you will get loads of trips out and hence experience.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hi Mate,
I second everything that Chris and the other lads have said. Don't be afraid to ask on this site thats whats it here for.:D
Its been said by many that this Forum is a living Encyclopedia, you will not find a better place to ask your questions.:)

Also have a look at past Threads you will find that alot of questions-answers are already there for your info.;)
Cheers Steve

50 posts, does that make me half Hardcore?:p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts