World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there folks, im looking for advice on home made mepps, I have managed to source all materials except the wire for making the shafts off the mepp..can anyone point me in the right direction? I was considering stainless Tig wire but i have no idea on what gauge to use and if it will even be suitable. If any of you can help i would be most grateful.

Cheers

Alexander

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
What are you fishing for, and what size blades are you using? 1.0mm 316 stainless tig rods off fleabay will probably suit you for most spinners.

If making very small mepps for trout then you might get away with 0.8mm, and for pike you want 1.2mm+. Of course, the thicker it is, the harder it is to form neat loops.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are you fishing for, and what size blades are you using? 1.0mm 316 stainless tig rods off fleabay will probably suit you for most spinners.

If making very small mepps for trout then you might get away with 0.8mm, and for pike you want 1.2mm+. Of course, the thicker it is, the harder it is to form neat loops.
Thanks for getting back to me, Its for sea trout buddy thats the plan ive been told elsewhere that 0.30mm dental wire is suitable but i would like to bounce that off somone such as yourself first.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
No problem. I can't see that 0.3mm wire is suitable at all. I've no idea what grade of s/s dental wire is but you want to go for 316 grade. If you're using blades size 3+ then I'd probably go with the 1.0mm to start with, but 0.8mm might do you for size 0-3 blades. You can get it cheap from fleabay so you could buy one size and see if it's suitable.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i use 0.5mm stainless mig wire formost of the light stuff
0.75mm wire for any thing extra heavy duty and
1.mm wire for Moby dicks bigger brother
1.2mm is what i use to make home made lead weight hoop links and alss for grip wires on beach leads.

the .5mm- .75mmand 1mm i brought a smallest reel of eachoff fleabay, roughly £6 each, they last me ages before i use them up, the 1.2mm i meet a welder, we swapped a bag of jam dough nuts for 10m of welding wire. seemed a far swap
I agree with Pete - bought a load of tig wire in 1.6mm after watching sandmans tackle vids - need fingers like king kong to work - fair do's he's power casting with beachcasters and heavy weights but not required for lighter. I'd look at a spool of .8mm wire and use that. Think of the shear forces needed to fracture - after a couple of loops wrapped it won't unwrap unless you're shark fishing :) -If you're worried do a pull test with scales and report back
Craftyjohn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts