World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am sorry to barge in on you all like this, but I am in need of some very important advice and I am really hoping someone can help me.
I have been tasked with finding a present for a gentleman that is retireing and I have been told that enjoys sea fishing off Alderney.
I have approx £100 to spend on a leaving present for him and I have no idea what I could buy.
Please could you perhaps help me with some suggestions...an ideal piece of kit he may not own, a new rod....also, where could I buy something like this?
Again, sorry not understand this sort of stuff, but as you can tell, I am a girl!
Thanks so much in advance.
Katy

p.s I have been shark fishing in Portugal, does that count?!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hi Katy...Barge away!!! Thats what we are here for.

It may not be the most personal gift but gift vouchers are available from the bigger tackle suppliers. The link below is to Veals...a bristol company who are generally recognised as being one of the best...especially mail order.
Click on he link below and it should take you straight to the vouchers bit.
I am sure that most of us on here would appreciate something from here.
Hope this helps Katy,,
All the best ,
Terry F.

http://veals.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh00000.1.pl?ACTINIC_

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
You are most welcome to be here... the site is for everyone and there are a few lady anglers here....... and you do come in to that class too.

As you are looking for something for this gentleman to do with fishing have you thought about leaving an angling mag on a table where you work and see if he is interested in anything in there? an angling mag like sea fishing or total sea fishing, it will also have a good few ads for the major shops that will do mail order for you... I hope that helps you a little....

And if you did ever find yourself a little bored with life and wanting some fishy fun... I expect there would be quite a few here who would welcome you and take you fishing with them.... It's a very relaxing sport and enjoyable too..and if you can bait a hook and take off the fish you catch. and are single..... you would be quite a catch too..

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
excuse me while i throw up, no only jocking bassbites is really helpfull. but if you do want to go fishing i will go with you and before anyone makes a smart crack i say that to everyone (nobody comes but i say it anyway) hope you enjoy the site, it,s very informative and a bloody good laugh.

oh and bassbites ........ fishy fun?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Strewth Bassbites, you silver tongued charmer......

Hi Katy, I'd also go with the gift vouchers, that way you can't really go wrong.

:) KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
As everyone says, vouchers are a good ploy if all else fails, but I guess for a retirement present you may want to give an actual item of kit.

£100 will buy you a good quality rod or reel or a medium quality rod/reel combo. The problem is picking type, because it so depends on the type of fishing this chap does. Also there are two basic types of reel to consider. Is there anyone at work who can engage him in conversation on the subject without giving too much away? If they can find out

a. If he fishes from a boat or the shore.

b. What species he tries to catch.

c. If he fishes from the shore, what type of reel he uses (fixed spool or multiplier).

Armed with this information, the good people in the Veals mail order department, or a reputable tackle shop near you should be able to come up with a suggestion of a suitable item. I dare say that if you explain the situation, they will agree to do an exchange if what you buy turns out to be unsuitable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would like to say a huge thank you to all of you that replied! You have all given me some really good ideas and I have already visited the Veals site to get some more.

Thanks also for the offers of a fishing trip but its really not my scene, I get sea sick!

Thanks again

Katy :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
:) hi katy,excuse me for butting in but you only get sea sick from boat fishing,as i go beach fishing ,pick a nice day and you can sun bath and i will fish

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Is that the strong smell of pheremones on the wind? somebody with the name "katy" makes a post, & you all go sniffing with the offer of advice & whatever, I hope she turns out to be an 18st, weight lifting transvestite, with psychotic tendencies, & a fancy for amputating penises!
I hope you post us on what happened on your blind date!
blueskip

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
ALMOST one of the most hilarious threads ive seen in a loooong time.....

Well done chaps..made my day..

BUT!!!!!

Step aside,,Because,Obviously,as a moderator..I get to take Katy beach fishing..

Ill sunbathe,she can use my rods!!... :p

Ohhhh dear..that sounded a bit wrong,ill get me coat! :eek:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts