World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, in the end of april I will go to Madagascar Island Nosy Be. Will try spinn-fishing around coral reefs.
Will be using topwater popping and bottom jigging techniques.
Lures: 10-13 cm poppers (25-45 grams); kabura and other slow jigs (40-70 grams).
Not sure about fish species, but people say that there are a lot of small sized GT's not far from shore. Also snappers, barracuda etc.

I will try to rent some kind of small boat with small outboard or even sit on top kayk.

So what I found and could get are those travel rods:
savage gear xlnt2 road runner 8 ft 20-80 g.
savage gear mpp2 travel 8 ft 40-80 g.
fox rage prism travel 8 ft 30-100 g.

I'm leaning towards fox rage, cause there are a lot of complains about savage gear due to it's brittleness.
Also looking at the pics seems that fox rage has bigger tip guides and that is a huge advantage in saltwater fishing cause I'm gonna use few meters long fluorocarbon leader with FG knot to braided line.

I am choosing 8ft instead of 7ft to be able to cast further when popping.
Rod will be paired with shimano stradic FK 5000 size reel (320 grams)

P.S. any other options that are available for shipping in Europe are also very very welcome.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have the Nomura Hiro travel rod 5 pcs. I have the 20-50 g casting weight. Nice rod. I think it is 6’9” but can’t temeber.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I bought a Savage Gear MPP2 40-80g, ended up sending it back to the shop, the casting weight was just wrong, it was more like 20-40g, with 40g the absolute maximum.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I have 2 SavageGear travel rods.
An 8’ XLNT roadrunner 20-80g
And a 7’ Hitchhiker 15-40g
Both are great rods I’d highly reccomend !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.