World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I,m not having much luck as this is my third attempt at posting a message anyway here goes. This is my 2nd year at sea fishing and I managed to catch a few Joeys,[mackeral]as ive heard them called at Abbotsbury last year.I tried last weekend,[Aug] from 5.30 am and caught nothing but why did the bloke next to me catch 15 or 20 in the first hour as I seemed to be fishing exactly the same way as he was. Could it realy be bad luck? Please help me! I was using my Shakespeare salt rod penn 750 reel and a std mustad feather silver flec rig. I even tried a hokai rig. please help.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
hi mate why did you not ask the guy what range he was fishing and at what depth , mackeral are not always on the bottom can be near the top , but off the beach can be out far or in near have to change to you find them , good luck and dont give up mate

beetle

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
There is another post as regards the guy that use a standup board to fish from that is asking the same as you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ill try casting short and long but how do you change depth? Is it by counting the seconds between reeling in? Chuffed you replied to my question! Cheers.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
hi when your weight hits the water stop the reel , and start the retrieve , dont move the rod to the side but lift it up then drop it low as you reel in like sink and draw which makes the feathers go up and down and not drag along the bottom especialy on a beach .dont be afraid to aproach other anglers on the beach and ask advice most are nice and will help you , if they are catching ask them how far they cast to reach them . i was on the beach the outher day and landed up giving casting lessons to help some one learn the otg cast as he was casting 30 yards i was hgappy to help him double hes distance in 10 mins of my time , help this helps you

beetle

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well as it has been said I'd ask the fellow next to you where the fish are. The other thing I have noticed is that when everyone else is catching and you are not it often helps to increase the lead weight. Apparently the mackies are attracted to the wee bubbles that a big hunk of lead makes as it cuts through the water.
It is often also easy to get trapped into the "I need different feathers" routine where you are spending way too much time tying on different traces and not enough time with one pattern in the water. At least I know I'm guilty of doing it. I have since found that sticking to one pattern you have confidence in (I either use silver shrimp or daylights) will greatly improve the odds of the trace and the mackies being in the same place at the same time.

·
Registered
536 Posts
When i try a new mark for mackeral usually wet the feathers once with a short flick of about 50 yards. Then go for near maximum distance, as soon as the weight hits the water start counting until the weight hits the bottom, depends on the weight obviously how long this takes. Then just start varying the depth by starting on the bottom and retrieve right in, then counting 3/4 or the time sinking then retrieve, then 1/2 the time and retrieve and so on.

When there is a lot of fry or sandeel about the fish are often near the surface, in this case use the reverse. As soon as the weight hits the water start retrieving.

In very deep marks it is worth stopping half way and letting the lead drop again.

For me me mackeral usually hit anything that goes past them as they are competing for food all the time with other shoal members so the trace type i.e. feathers or sea flectors etc is not that important. My usual set-up is either a 4 or 5 oz weight (or dexter wedge instead of a weight if the fish are close in) and white feathers with luminous hawk eyes near dusk.

Tight lines, hope this helps.

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
Some good points were raised but the most important was the first one on communicating.

I have yet to find any angler (except in competitions) that wont give you advice.

I ask that you visualise yourself as a mackerel.......... in front of you is a massive shoal of tiny wee fry, all balling up together to make themselves look massive against a mackie.

This ball is generally metres wide, who knows how wide and deep but let us guess, especially when they leap out the water. (4m x 2m).

Now what you may have been doing is to toss a tiny feather/lure among that ball and it is now invisible due to the real fry being around it.

mackies will charge the ball, stun the fry and then return to pick them up.

So if your feather/lure is representing the fry then it needs to be at the edge of BALL so the mackie thinks its stunned.

The way to achieve this is to cast to the edge of the shoal and hold your lure/feather motionless for a few seconds, retrieve, hold again, retrieve.

We all have names for this such as sink and draw, feathering, erratic behaviour.......but it imitating that little stunned fry that the mackie is returning for.

So, back to communicating. I too did the same as you until I asked the elderley gentleman beside me why he was catching and I wasnt.

He told me the above story and its worked for 30 years.

I retold this story last week on this forum and the guy replied to say that he too was now catching.:victory:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Some good points were raised but the most important was the first one on communicating.

I have yet to find any angler (except in competitions) that wont give you advice.

I ask that you visualise yourself as a mackerel.......... in front of you is a massive shoal of tiny wee fry, all balling up together to make themselves look massive against a mackie.

This ball is generally metres wide, who knows how wide and deep but let us guess, especially when they leap out the water. (4m x 2m).

Now what you may have been doing is to toss a tiny feather/lure among that ball and it is now invisible due to the real fry being around it.

mackies will charge the ball, stun the fry and then return to pick them up.

So if your feather/lure is representing the fry then it needs to be at the edge of BALL so the mackie thinks its stunned.

The way to achieve this is to cast to the edge of the shoal and hold your lure/feather motionless for a few seconds, retrieve, hold again, retrieve.

We all have names for this such as sink and draw, feathering, erratic behaviour.......but it imitating that little stunned fry that the mackie is returning for.

So, back to communicating. I too did the same as you until I asked the elderley gentleman beside me why he was catching and I wasnt.

He told me the above story and its worked for 30 years.

I retold this story last week on this forum and the guy replied to say that he too was now catching.:victory:
Thanks, wondered about this myself.

AS YOU ALL HAVE SAID, I do find that asking the other guys gives you a 99% good response, interesting though that when i'm not fishing but walking and then ask questions, I GENERALLY GET A SHORT RESPONSE.
ONLY WHEN I SHARE MY OWN EXPLOITS DO I GET A BETTER RESPONSE.
I LIKE TO ASK AND THINK SOD THE BUGGERS IF THEY DON'T HELP, THEY GENRALLY DO THOUGH AND i've learned nearly everything i know from asking other people both on here, meeting forum members and asking for help on the shore. now reading books also.......good luck to all

1 - 13 of 13 Posts