World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone...

I'm looking for some advice, as you'll be able to gauge after reading this post I'm normally only a 'Winter' fisherman and feel a bit lacking on the fishing knowledge front when Summer is concerned.

I'm off to Orford Island on Saturday and I'm not sure what baits I should be taking - also what can I expect to catch over there at this time of year and finally... what rigs should I be using?

In all honesty I'm just used to thumping out a 4/0 pennel loaded with lug & squid as far as I can - but I guess it's a bit different this time of year.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers All.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi there,
I'm certainly no expert but when I was at Orford at the start of July I found ragworm to be the best bait, followed by lugworm! The crabs were a pain, and were the only creatures to touch the squid and mackeral I also tried! 3 of us caught several different species including: Whiting, Pouting, sizable codling, small bass, a dogfish and a sizable sole! Rigs used were clipped down 2 hook trace rigs and dvices (no change to what we used in the winter!) Used smaller hooks in the hope of a flatty, but the sole took a size 2/0 anyway! Good luck for your outting!!!

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
Hi there,
I'm certainly no expert but when I was at Orford at the start of July I found ragworm to be the best bait, followed by lugworm! The crabs were a pain, and were the only creatures to touch the squid and mackeral I also tried! 3 of us caught several different species including: Whiting, Pouting, sizable codling, small bass, a dogfish and a sizable sole! Rigs used were clipped down 2 hook trace rigs and dvices (no change to what we used in the winter!) Used smaller hooks in the hope of a flatty, but the sole took a size 2/0 anyway! Good luck for your outting!!!
The river can fish well in the summer especially at the Narrows. Bass is the main fish from the river and the usual bait suspects of lug, rag and crab seems todo the trick.
I have been advised by a few people not to bother fishign the beach side during the summer as it is not that productive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts