World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

Please could all you nice people help. The problem is how do i safely and carefully remove my fixed spool reel from the metal rod casing. One was rather foolish and tighten it up to much. The plastic screw bit has come away ok but its the metal sleeve that is stuck?. (Hope this makes sense?!?!?)

A rather foolish Woodster

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hi Woody.
I had exactly the same problem with R.T. G-force some time ago.
Unfortunately no amount of wiggling or lubrication (ooh-err) would free it.
Brute force was the final solution which led to a new winch fitting being needed.
Sorry Mate.

Terry F.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Woodster, try warming the retaining ring GENTLY with a hair dryer, or a hot air paint stripper, it is a thinner section than the reel handle, so it should heat up & expand before the reel handle itself. To make sure it does immerse the reel in a bowl or bucket of water as for up the handle as possible, this will dissapate the heat going into the reel, & keep the heat differential in your favour. Have a piece of hardwood or plastic at hand, so as when the ring is heated you can give it a tap back. Good luck!
blueskip

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you turn the rod over you will see a small groove running down between the threads. If you take a small nail punch and tap this gently with a small hammer it should free itself. If there isn't a groove, just put a drift of even a coin onto the edge of the metal retainer and tap this carefully so as not to round over or do to much damage.

Unfortunately once the plastic nut has come off you will need to repeat this almost every time you want to take the reel off and on cheap rods it is not worth buying a new reel seat. You could cut the reel seat off and put on coasters but unless the rod is valuable its going to be easier to buy a decent rod.

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts