World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

In october 2005 I 'll go fishing in Weymouth. The boat will be anchored.
The bait will be mackerel, ragworm and calamares. Throwing is not allowed.
What fishing tackle do I need? Nylon, Braid, hooks, rigs, weight. (name and size please).

More information: No wreckfishing, but anchored either on the banks, either on the reefs.

Thanks.
Best wishes for 2005.

&

·
0 Posts
Morning Guys, "Lofty" here,

Great to here that you have a trip booked out of Weymouth, most of the work with regard to your question has been done for me. On this site if you check out the "Ports" section, Mike has put together some very useful info. and also check out http://members.aol.com/ccaines105

This is from one of the top local skippers Chris Caines (Tiger Lily) and the fishbase section lists all the kit and methods we use.

The beauty of Weymouth and Portland is the vast number of species that are found within the area, and inturn attracts the big, competitions, YYS international boat and not forgetting the shore boys with the famous Chesil beach.

It's all about the geography here, Portland sticks straight out from the shore at about seven miles, couple this with the west to east tidal movement and the varied sea bed terrain and you've got something really special.

All the skippers are on top of their game, and many are very keen anglers in their own right. At the end of the day on charter trips, we are their livelihood and the information they give you is invaluable. Most, if not all boats have a crew member who look after you, talk tactics, help you tackle up if needed, even fillet your catch!

I don't know if you are an experienced boat angler but the boats will organise rod hire, some are sponsered by the big manufacteurs, Penn, Shimano etc and you can get to test drive the latest kit.

Ideally you need two rods for inshore marks, something around the 12-20lb class with a lighter reel-type, Penn 310gti or better still Abu 7000 series(personal preference) and a 20-30lb class with a heavier reel, Penn 320 or Shimano Charter series are popular here.

The thing with Weymouth above all are the big tides, they all converge in upto seven different movements and congregate on the famous Portland Race. Big tides mean heavier weights to present properly, to counter act this Braid is the only option to cut the tide and reduce the lead you need.

Some people don't get on with Braid put you get a better feel for whats below you especially when over rough ground, don't grab hold of the stuff, it's like cheesewire!!!

Gulle, you say that you will be anchored, but i should imagine that if the tide permits you'll be bassing in The Race. Our season here runs for much longer than many ports in the country from April to New Years Day!

October is abit of a transition month here, if were still holding warm waters then the Summer species will stay alittle bit longer, Turbot and Brill usually best for a late run in September or Bream on the mussel beds. Sometimes get lucky feathering for mackerel for bait just outside the harbour (but take some of your own just in case).

The Bassing is suberb, i hope you get the chance to experience this. In October the bigger fish start to move in, they patrol the reef gullies looking to fatten up ready for their journey out to deeper water. Best methods, if the boats have live tanks on board then joey mackerel on portland rigs, failing that i had good success on 4-5" sized blue (mackerel) coloured shads and also try the Storm Sand Eels, these were an experiment, (pricey) but very good. You only need 6ft traces although longer traces catch more, it's better to be friendly to those around you and stop tangles. The tides are big, fishable at 3-5 knots, so no need to wind shads as quickly as in other regions, just a nice constant wind per second. We did try at seven knots, but people started falling over on deck!!! Anything below 3 knots on the drift and the Bass just are'nt interested in feeding.

The bigger Bass to double figures like to feed at the start and finish of a tide, they don't like to burn energy in peak tide movements, their older and wiser and usually leave this to the youngsters, although plenty of 2-5lb fish are there in such waters.

The trick with fishing here, is hit the bottom and get out quick (three or four very quick turns to get off the bottom), these very rough ledges and walls of reef will grab and snap you in the blink of an eye, this is where the feel of braid gives you instant feel and contact.

October last year was very windy (just like now in Jan. three trips already cancelled!!!). The one time we did get out on in October, was great fun with the Tope whilst at anchor. I can understand why uptiding is not an option, casting out with 9 others plus crew on the boat is not advisable. Although many say Tope are best when uptiding you can still have great success.

When downtiding the trick is to get a scent trail laid out to bring the fish to your bait, by trotting back (letting line out) to get away from the boat the fish will pick up the trail. Big baits of calamari, mackerel head, whole mackerel or pout will bring results here, also the possiblity of Bull Huss and Conger.

Big baits also last longer, we are always plauged by dogfish and pout that will devour baits very quickly, i caught a 1lb pout on 4 large squid whilst Codding, their greedy sods!

The golden rule is that people need to vary the lead weight you are using, at the stern (best postion) you need to use lighter weights to move further back out of the way of those fishing the sides. On the sides you need heavier weights to keep out of the way and unfortunately here you would'nt have as good a scent trail as those directly out the back, but you will still catch.

Otherwise people tangle all day, also with tope, when hooked they run, and if a good fish is on it's best to get up and out the way, when surfacing they'll run everywhere, the best i've witnessed was one tope tangling up six anglers, all lines had to be cut!!!

We fished just as the ebb tide started to pick up and all the rods were on the go, good fun when the fish are really turned on to the feed.

Anyway, Gulle, I could go on for hours, check out the above sites and any specific questions i'll be glad to help. I can't go fishing at the moment, all my kits been sorted out so i'll do the next best thing and talk fishing!!!

Very interested to know who your out with, and how you get on, Summer species may still be there, Winter species will start to move inshore if waters are colder, particularly Whiting and the Bass are always there, somewhere!!!

Best of luck "Lofty"

&

·
0 Posts
The one thing with fishing is your always learning, i'm always watching and listening to others, were a friendly bunch down here in "not so sunny" Dorset, i hope after your trip you'll keep coming back for more.

I've found the forums are particularly good for exchanging ideas, don't hesitate to ask any questions, here or whilst your out to sea, anglers always seem very willing to help each other, which is great for the sport and makes it good social thing as well.

Cheers "Lofty"

·
Registered
303 Posts
nice one lofty, gulle the only stupid question is the one you don't ask so don't be afraid to ask. someone will be able to help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts