World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iv just been fishing on shields pier tonight and got home then rinsed my reel under hot water and cleaned my rod, and now my reel wont go in to free spool so i can not cast the little switch thing moves over but it just keeps on reeling in and will not let me cast if you get what i mean. the switch has always been stiff since iv gotton back into fishing after 2 year iv recently oiled the bearings but iv not touched the side with all the gears in something has defiantly went rong in this side. has anyone got any ideas what it could be? will lots of cogs fall out if i take the handle side off?

i was supposed to be goin fishing again tomorrow but it doesnt look like it lol cant imagine using my 6500 or 7000 for a full days fishing now im gutted. is there anywere in or around south shields that can sort it out or should i try my self

cheers

·
Registered
377 Posts
you should never rinse your reels in hot water it breaks down the protection inside as well as outside the reel! this time of year you should be absolutely fine in fact better off using a 6500 than a 525 (depending on what type of ground of course!) anyway as far as your reel is concerned I'm sure one of the lads up your way will have a look at it for you it sounds like it needs a service desparately! Try your local tackle shops but they might want to send it away to pure fishing and you'll wait an eternity for it coming back. Best bet dont do it yourself unless you are totally confident and give the reel to someone who does

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
My 525 mag done the same thing. All that was wrong was a very small piece of grit had got in and jammed the little lever inside the end casing.
Simple enough repair, just removed the handle and end plate, sprayed with WD40 to wash the grit out, re oiled and back together. About 15 mins.
If you not confident about taking it apart either do it slowly on a large clean table top and lay the bits in order, Or leave it alone and take it to the tackle shop.

Good luck either way..

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think i might pop it up to rutherfords in sunderland on thursday im just gutted i cant go fishing just dont like the feel of my abus now they are both brand spanking aswell them my 525 has took a beating tho :p iv just been diggin today aswell got about 150 worm left.

and il remember not to rinse my reels under hot water next time. i think next time iv got some money im goin to invest in a 525 mag with the nobbly magnets but i still want to sort this 1 out for my spare. it was casting perfect today and reeling in its just happend when i got home :sad:

well mick i think im gona do it right now. if i break it il take it to the shop in a box lol i love fixing engines and motorbikes and electric stuff so im hoping i can do this. will anything spring out of place when i open it up?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Nothing gonna jump out, but there are quite a few bits. I am a mechanic myself so I am sure if you able to strip engines you should have no probs fixing your reel....If you aint got the proper oil for the reel use some 10/40 engine oil, you only need a drop..

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
yeah it seems to be fixed iv just got the bearings in some lighter fluid again then im goin to oil them again, my reel seems to run very fast last time i oiled the bearings i used the abu garcia oil that came with my 7000, i always have to tap the spool abit when casting to stop from birds nestings will this abu oil be to thin it does come out like water? iv just oiled the gears with handy oil i use on my pedal bike chains will this be good enough to use on my bearing or should i use the abu oil again or wait till the morning and use my engine oil.
i cant take my magnets off the highest setting or i get a nest, and thanks mick for making me pluck up the courage to strip my reel :p looks like im goin up newbiggen or blyth tomorrow

well its all back together and working now but there is no play on the spool and even if i slacken the silver knob all the way off there is still no play in the spool but im tierd and im goin to bed now il have another check in the morning and i might even get some grease to put in the reel as iv only used handy oil to oil it all up thanks for help everyone

its sorted now cheers for the help. still goin to grease it up 1 day and i need the cog that goes through the hole that grabs the spool as it is abit worn down but il get that another time

·
Registered
585 Posts
Is the Abu oil marked with a red pen? usually Red rocket fuel should be ok, and are you using more mags to stop the birds nesting? need mine on at least 6 to stop it nesting, full with a big bait

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah it is marked with a red line, i have to have mine on 8 at all times or its get a nest lol i think il try some thiker oil next time i get to tackle shop to buy some

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
No reason why you can't do it yourself there is nothing complicated about multipliers, all it will be is the free spool lever will of come out of its seating and to make things easier for you theres even a sticky for you to follow a couple of posts above yours.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its sorted now iv been fishing today and it worked perfect :p nearly hit the over side of the tyne with no birds nest so im happy with that and i didnt know i could put brakes in this reel. iv just got some oil off my mate and he got this oil when he baught his 525 mag so next time iv got it in bits il be using this oil for it. im glad i know how to strip my 525 now for any problems in the future.

the only thing wrong with it now is the little part that moves for to grab on to the spool is a little chewed up i think il be needing that soon then it will be like new again.

·
Registered
121 Posts
iv just been fishing on shields pier tonight and got home then rinsed my reel under hot water and cleaned my rod, and now my reel wont go in to free spool so i can not cast the little switch thing moves over but it just keeps on reeling in and will not let me cast if you get what i mean. the switch has always been stiff since iv gotton back into fishing after 2 year iv recently oiled the bearings but iv not touched the side with all the gears in something has defiantly went rong in this side. has anyone got any ideas what it could be? will lots of cogs fall out if i take the handle side off?

i was supposed to be goin fishing again tomorrow but it doesnt look like it lol cant imagine using my 6500 or 7000 for a full days fishing now im gutted. is there anywere in or around south shields that can sort it out or should i try my self

cheers
penn mag is one of the easiest reels to strip down, so long as you take your time, there also is a a stiicky on this site (tackle and equipment )showing you how toi strip a 525 peen mag so if you follow those instructions and with you being a mechanic you should have no problem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts