World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all.

I purchased a second hand ABU 6500cs Magelite.

It has a slider on the reel that goes from 0-8, that I assume is the Magnetic Brake Block adjuster, but Ii have no idea what setting to use for what conditions?

Also if you could tell me where to replace the oil and what oil to use, I would be very grateful.

Sorry if this appears a bit naive but I would rather know and get the best from the reel.

Thanks for your help.

·
Wales Team Captain
2,361 Posts
Hello to all.

I purchased a second hand ABU 6500cs Magelite.

It has a slider on the reel that goes from 0-8, that I assume is the Magnetic Brake Block adjuster, but Ii have no idea what setting to use for what conditions?

Also if you could tell me where to replace the oil and what oil to use, I would be very grateful.

Sorry if this appears a bit naive but I would rather know and get the best from the reel.

Thanks for your help.
simple mate the scale 0-8 is the mags best start of on 8 then work your way down,, tbh i never use more than 2 for my setting unless im casting short distances/gentle lob..

when you ask about oil do you mean the bearings, if so they are housed inside/onboard the spool.
remove the handle side plate (becarefull as if there are brake blocks fitted they may fall out), the spool will slide out, remove the c clip holding the brake block holder in place, remove holder and there is your bearing,remove the bearing.. on the other end of the spool there will be a white plastic cog that holds the bearing in place behind it., remove this and the bearing.
Place the bearings in lighter fluid to clean them,, let them dry then reapply oil, one drop per bearing and let soak in..then reassemble
also putting a drop of oil in the spool end caps is a good idea
i use yellow rocket fuel ,, but you can get red which is thicker oil and there will make the reel run slower than yellow..

·
Wales Team Captain
2,361 Posts
just noticed that its a cs version in that case a drop or two of oil on the underneath of the levelwind is also a must
if you turn the reel upside down you will see the word drive for the levelwind (bar with crisscross grooves in it) place oil on that..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much for replying.

I really appreciate your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts