World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Help with Avet Magic Cast multiplier reels

885 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  lipslicker 
#1 ·
Been looking at the Avet Magic Cast multiplier reels, Just wondering what model you guys use for shore fishing and what you think of them as a shore reel, how do they compare to say BG saltist or similar shore casting reels.

#2 ·
Only got one, the MX MC, loaded with braid for rock fishing.
Love it.
Intending to get the SX MC in as short as order as I can get round to it.

Cannot compare with Saltist, as I moved to them from Abu.

Decent strong fishing reel.
Casts pretty damn well.

Heard some say that the drag does not lock down enough for fishing, hogwash.

Zero complaints from me.

#4 ·
Only got one, the MX MC, loaded with braid for rock fishing.
Love it.
Intending to get the SX MC in as short as order as I can get round to it.

Cannot compare with Saltist, as I moved to them from Abu.

Decent strong fishing reel.
Casts pretty damn well.

Heard some say that the drag does not lock down enough for fishing, hogwash.

Zero complaints from me.
Had the ultimate Avet drag test a couple of years ago vs slosh30 moth lines loaded with 80lb shock/rubbing leader using an Apollo and an eye bolt set in concrete it was impossible to have the Avet locked down on the drag when using a mk1Apollo as leverage : the slosh could be locked down.
Pretty brutal I know but there you have it, a lot of people fish with strong braid straight through so could readily apply the same level of leverage. I think there was a rush to Avet when they became pretty awesome vfm; they are superb reels but the baitcaster sized are being pushed too much in typical NE coast rock fishing ground. Use mine now with lighter tackle for estuary/light fishing a real pleasure to use in this context and they cast pretty well too...

#5 ·
Had the ultimate Avet drag test a couple of years ago vs slosh30 moth lines loaded with 80lb shock/rubbing leader using an Apollo and an eye bolt set in concrete it was impossible to have the Avet locked down on the drag when using a mk1Apollo as leverage : the slosh could be locked down.
Pretty brutal I know but there you have it, a lot of people fish with strong braid straight through so could readily apply the same level of leverage. I think there was a rush to Avet when they became pretty awesome vfm; they are superb reels but the baitcaster sized are being pushed too much in typical NE coast rock fishing ground. Use mine now with lighter tackle for estuary/light fishing a real pleasure to use in this context and they cast pretty well too...
Go to your first floor window with your rock rod and try and lift 14lb's with your rod (the recommended Full strike max.)
Even 9lb's (the strike amount) will give you something to think about.
When I am cliff fishing alone, I struggle lifting up much above 6lb's.

Not many fish in our waters will need 14lb's of drag on a shore rod (if you can do it for any length of time) and my opinion is that anyone pulling from a snag with locked down drag (without wrapping line around spool cage) should not be trusted with a £200 plus reel!
:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.