World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I live in Poole and have been casting of the Poole and Bournemouth shores. I have just started this as I usually go onto Bournemouth Pier and have good success there, however I have just bought a decent beachcaster and find the pier gets way to busy.

Im using mackerel as bait and use a pennel pully rig with a 4oz weight or a 2 hook flapper rig again with a 4oz weight.

What im finding is that 1). Im not getting any bites and 2). Im bringing in massive amounts of weed every time I reel in.

Is there anything I can do to improve my shore angling for better success? I use mackerel as its free as I catch them of the pier and find rag pricy.

Regards

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
hi mate when i fish from the shore , i use a 5 oz break away style weight , 60 lb shock leader 18 lb main line , this grips the sea bed and helps to hook the fish better , 12 inch snoods on the flappers , if your on a clean beach dont use pulleys use a fixed pennel rig 3/o and 2/o hooks , dont mask your hooks and whip the mackeral on the hooks with baiting elastic , dont leave your bait out any longer then 20 mins , reel in a change as the scent would have gone by then and keep your rod tip high in the rest when its weedy , any other questions dont be afraid to ask , there are some great anglers on here mate good luck with it

john

·
Registered
829 Posts
hi there mate you say your using mackerel as bait have you tried mussels or squid or even grab a small spade +try to dig some lug+blow lug if not try to collect some peeler crabs+softy's :thumbs hope this helps mate

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
are lug worm good? never tried but can try to dog for them. not sure where to look for peeler and dont think i have to facilities to store them.

as for the pennel rig on casting, whats the best way to do so, so when it hits the water i dont lose any of the bait? also what size mackerel strips should I put on the hooks?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Yes mate, both lug and ragworm are very good bait. As for how much to put on with a pennel I'd go for a strip big enough to nick with the top hook go all the way down the bottom hook and leave a wee bit dangling. If you are getting no interest in your bait it could be for two main reasons, either the fish aren't there or they aren't wanting your bait.

With the weed problem, either there is a weed bed where you are fishing or there's lots of floating weed in the water, if it's the former you can try and cast over the weed bed if it's small enough or cast to a patch of clean sand (have a look at the water on a bright day, weed beds can look like darker patches in the water) if it's the latter you just need to put up with it I'm afraid.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Bait clips save your bait flying off the hooks when casting, if you use big hooks put a few strips of Mack on and wrap with elastic, making sure the hook point is free

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mackerel skin is reasonably tough so pass the hook through from the inside to the outside of the mackerel strip, through the skin, and back again leaving the point clear as above post. A few turns of bait elastic quite tight near the bend of the hook helps keep the bait on and the point clear, though I find it doesn't fly off all that easily anway.
If using big bits - more like fillets than lasks - with a pennel rig, the top hook can go through the thicker part and, if it's still there, around the backbone and back out to take the main weight of the bait. The bottom hook can then just go through and back at the thinner end with a little elastic as before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.