World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a glass (?) rod at the back of the shed this afternoon. I bought it second hand from a junk shop when I was a kid, and it was old even back then...

The sections are unequal length, with the butt section at 5' 3", and the tip section 4' 3", so a total length of 9' 6". There are no decals, markings or makers name at all, so it's a complete mystery what style of fishing it was originally made for. The length doesn't seem to fit with use as either a beachcaster or a boat rod. Any ideas?

I have in mind a project to strip it down, reduce the length of the butt section and re-ring it for use as a heavy boat rod. If I do this I'll need to reduce the length of the butt section by around a foot, so reducing the total length to 8'6", which is still a bit long for a boat rod but manageable. What is the recommended method for cutting a glass fibre rod down? Is it as simple as masking up the cut, then taking a hacksaw to it?

As for rings, what rings can WSF recommend, and how many, what size and spacing?

Old glass rod.jpg

Reel seat.jpg

Butt ferrule and tip ring.jpg

·
Registered
15,092 Posts
Looks like a fibreglass beach rod that has had the tip snapped at some point..I am sure I have seen one similar before, but cant think where.

I would imagine that if you turn it into a boat rod it would be like a stick of celery, bending right from the tip to the butt, but its hard to say without actually holding it and finding out how stiff /flexible the whole thing is .

Some beach rods of that era had handles that were actually made of two seperate parts , spigotted together under the chrome reel seat, giving them a "reverse taper" it may be that your rod is one of them, which would make cutting it down easier.

Whatever you decide to do with it good luck.

Dave

·
Banned
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave I think you're onto something there. It has a grip at the very end of the butt section, which is where you'd put your hand when beach casting, and a snapped and re-ringed tip section makes sense given the unequal lengths. Assuming the sections were once the same length, this would have been a total length of 10'6" which is more like a beachcaster.

It has a through action to it but it's quite stiff. It takes some force to get the rod bending and when it does bend you can see it curve equally from tip through to butt.

If I chop the butt section I'll need to move the reel seat further up the rod. How do I unstick the seat?

·
Registered
15,092 Posts
There is a "sticky" at the top of the forum that gives you all you need to know, really, it will be a hacksaw job, sawing the reel seat in a spiral then peeling it back, not so easy with a steel reeel seat but dooable, I have removed a few in the past .
For what the rod is, it sounds like a lot of work..(not wanting to put you off or anything ) remove reel seat, and rings and clean blank,laquer or varnish, rewhip rings, new high build, new reel seat and grips, you could easily be talking about a cost of £30.00 plus just for bits, , and at the end will the rod be worth it and useable ?

Just a thought ... Stan could advise you better .

Dave

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
Could be an old Edgar Sealey which at the 10ft plus length were sold as pier rods in the 60`s. Brown fibatube blank and what looks like a Modern Arms reel seat (MARCO) with Mildrum guides. It can be done easy enough but a lot of work for not a lot of gain unless you like the action. The reel seat will be chromed brass so a dremel or hacksaw to remove it. Personally I`m not sure I`d bother :):)

·
Registered
35 Posts
In the link posted above to the East Anglian rod Co. brochure i think the 10,11 and 12 foot Kingcast rods were unequal lengths while this one is a 12 foot equal section. It's a pretty crappy beachcaster,but it.s ok to dangle off a pier.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts