World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Help with rod decision!

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Tim 
#1 ·
Hi there,

Been a while since I been sea fishing, but I'm now looking at getting a new beach rod and reel. I'm wondering which would be the most recommended of 3 low-mid budget rods!! My fishing will be mixed rough ground (Loch Long, Loch Fyne, Gareloch etc) and beach (North Wales, Merseyside). Looking at catching bass, doggies, pollock, coalfish, codling etc, maybe having a crack at the Loch Long congers! The 3 rods I'm looking at are:

Diawa Meanstreak 12ft - Cheapest - is it the best value though?
Shakespeare Salt MX 13ft - Seems like a good allrounder
Abu Esprit - Is it worth the extra few tenners over the other two?

I plan to team the rod with a Diawa SL20SH multiplier - which I'm incidentally wondering - can you get these in left hand wind?

Thanks folks!

#4 ·
choices are truely specific to the person but... stay away from the meanstreak no backbone at all had both f/s and m types m is slightly stiffer but both bend like hell with 1lb+ fish on,cant comment on the abu but the salt is a quality bit of kit have both fs and mx awaiting arrival of salt bass !

#5 ·
Had an ABU ESPRIT 13M about five years ago now it was an excellent all round rod and couldn't fault it and like a lot of guys you move on to something else. I think mine cost me about about £70 and i don't know how much they are now but you won't be dissapointed with the performance.

:fish::fish: :fishing:

#6 ·
Thanks for the feedback! Given that there is only £10-£15 difference between the Salt and the Esprit, it seems it might be worth going for the Esprit.

Looking forward to getting fishin' !

*edit* I take it the SL20SH isn't available in left hand wind? Can't find it anywhere!

#7 ·
Thanks for the feedback! Given that there is only £10-£15 difference between the Salt and the Esprit, it seems it might be worth going for the Esprit.

Looking forward to getting fishin' !

*edit* I take it the SL20SH isn't available in left hand wind? Can't find it anywhere!
If you definately need a left hander there's this. Bit dearer than a slosh though.

#9 ·
Abu esprit is lighter, stiffer and (in my opinion) a better action for the type of fishing you plan on using it for. Had a play with the Salt 13ft multi found it quite top heavy and floppy in the mid section. Need something with a decent stiff backbone for fishing the sea lochs so it can stand up in the tides. As for your Multi, I'd recommend trying to get used to right hand wind, it feels funny for a few sessions but you'll soon get the hang of it. Start using left handed multis and you will be forever restricted to only a handfull of left handed models, much more choice of right handed multis (and theyre cheaper)

G
#10 ·
not trying to throw a spanner in the works, have you considered the Shimano Catana, think it's within your price range, they do a rough ground model and a long distance model, not that I'm taking anything away from the Abu rod (they have in my opinion always made a good rod) just something else to chew over !!

#11 ·
Thanks Tim. I checked out the Catana following your suggestion but it does seem to be stretching the budget a little bit...the Esprit is already top of my budget once you factor in £70 for the reel, plus line, shockleader, rig bits etc!

I will persevere with right hand wind in that case. Always had fixed spools in left hand wind but my Diawa Proteus baitcasting reel has converted me to multi's.

#12 ·
shimano nexave 13m is going cheap here and there at the moment, its a decent rod, seen them for $60 not so long ago, always found abu rods really good tho, as for lefty multipliers best of luck theres avet from rokmax in cornwall but its dear as ****, only other option is a 6501, then remove the level wind etc add a mag brake if u want etc, costs about 120 to do it properly and it wont fish rough ground but it will be a proper beech multi for left hand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.