World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys this is a desperate plea for help. I have a Century CME and I'm having problems with it getting stuck fast and finding it very difficult to separate the two halves, especially on my own.

I have tried numerous methods to fix the problem, IE pencil, nose grease, cleaning etc. Have looked on other threads covering this subject and can't find a cure. Please help.

Cheers

G

·
maybe a bit of a rub with some proper fine wet and dry mate.but only a little!

prob a crap idea but it's what i'd do.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Coming from a FW background I was a told a cure to loosen polejoints
and have been using it to good effect with stuck rod joints as well.

OK......sounds a tad extreme....but you have to bang the rod on the floor......yer yer.....dont panic.

First of all lay a jacket/coat etc on the floor........get good grip each side of offending joint....close as poss.....then ..."gulp".....gently
bang the end of the butt on the coat/floor and as you bang the butt ..twist the joints in opposite directions.

after a few taps...I can only guess that the vibration travels up the blank freeing the joints cos believe me ..it bluddy well works.

other than that I tend to spray maver joint save on the male joint....
but DO NOT polish it.....EG.....you are then leaving a graphite
deposit on the joint ....so that the female joint cannot stick to it
so easily.

good luck mate.

Gaz

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
have a look at previous threads _ grease and twisting fixes it _ sorry for terse reply _ ever tried using q french keyboqrd _ all the letters are ib the wrong plqce

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hi guys this is a desperate plea for help. I have a Century CME and I'm having problems with it getting stuck fast and finding it very difficult to separate the two halves, especially on my own.

I have tried numerous methods to fix the problem, IE pencil, nose grease, cleaning etc. Have looked on other threads covering this subject and can't find a cure. Please help.

Cheers
i have the same problem with the century ss

·
Registered
728 Posts
Once you have got the joints apart, apply a small amount of grease - ordinary car-type grease, or even vaseline will do. Fit the two sections together, and then work them, in and out, round and round. From time to time clean off the residue from the male, and as far as possible also the female sections. It will be black and gungy, you are removing muck and a very small amount of carbon. Keep going till you get the fit you want, it can take a little while. When the joint is fitting well, wipe both sections down. Better still, wash both in a little soapy water, use a bottle bush on the female if you have one, then dry THOROUGHLY. After that, spray both joints with 3in1 PTFE spray. I know, it sounds a pain, and it is a pain, but you get a perfect fit without grinding down the carbon beyond the point of no return.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Once you have got the joints apart, apply a small amount of grease - ordinary car-type grease, or even vaseline will do. Fit the two sections together, and then work them, in and out, round and round. From time to time clean off the residue from the male, and as far as possible also the female sections. It will be black and gungy, you are removing muck and a very small amount of carbon. Keep going till you get the fit you want, it can take a little while. When the joint is fitting well, wipe both sections down. Better still, wash both in a little soapy water, use a bottle bush on the female if you have one, then dry THOROUGHLY. After that, spray both joints with 3in1 PTFE spray. I know, it sounds a pain, and it is a pain, but you get a perfect fit without grinding down the carbon beyond the point of no return.
GOOD advice mate thats exactly what i did with my cm crests..also make sure there is a tiny whole in the rubber on the butt end as this can cause a vacumn if there isn't and cause the rod to stick more than usual..

·
Registered
266 Posts
Rubber gloves........one either side of joint. Had same problem with CME amd had a reply frpm Simon at Century........will reply more tomorrow.....Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.