World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would be grateful if anybody coulkd give me some tips/help on how to fish the beach and top at Trebarwith, and also the headland at Port Gaverne, as I don't seem to enjoy the success I see others on the site having!!
David A

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hi David, welcome to the site. I have never fished here but looking at the pictures of the place it looks like it should fish OK in the right conditions. At nightfall fish off the beach using lug worm and you should catch some bass if there is some swell running, they like a bit of white water to feed in. I would use a 4 or 5oz breakaway with a single hook patternosta with sharp 3/0 fine shanked hooks for the beach.

Off the rocks there must be some Mackerel and Gars to be had with a float rig and some Mackerel strips or sandeel. Fishing on the bottom would possible get some Wrasse with worm or crab baits, doggies with worm or Mackerel baits, possibly a ray with sandeel. There could also be the chance of a bass if you try some plugging.

Maybe someone else on the forum has fished here before and has more specific advice.

Good luck.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vaughn-thanks for the welcome-where have you picked the pictures from? (Incidentally, due to falling and breaking my leg in three places on the rocks at Trebarwith (idiotic, I know). back fishing again, but I don't do rocks anymore, which restricts my choice of marks!
david A

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I just did a google search for Trebarwith and had a look at all the links, then did a google image search.

Sorry to hear about your fall, glad to hear you are back fishing again. If you don't want to go back on the rocks stay on the beach and fish for the bass using sandeels in the day and worm in the evening. This time of year unless I fish for Mackerel I am always fishing from the beach, admittidly always eve/night though.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hello there,

I fish both marks regularly as i live just up the road at boscastle. Best bet for trebarwith is to fish the beach at low tide at either end of the beach by the cliffs. Watch out though cos the tide comes in real quick at the right hand side and will cut you off in the middle of the beach.

the best place to fish is above the port william hotel right out the end. It overlooks the whole beach and you can cast one rod far and one short. A rod cast near to the rocks down to the left is a good bet.

fish only at night or first light as surfers and sundry put the kaibosh on any other times.

Low tide is good as is 2hrs up to high. As long as it is "kicking" in a bit... they like that!

Ragworm or lugworm tipped with squid always gets results, more so than a nice sandeel (although these do catch and will often throw up a ray as well).

best time of year is always from september through to the end of Jan. Some of the best fish i have caught and seen caught have been on really frosty jan nights!

Try plugging at first light and sunset.. really good fun.

Port Gaverne headland is all rock but if you cast right and as far as poss the ground is not too bad and you can leger with a rotten bottom. Throws up allsorts, good whiting in winter but loads of rockling. Summertime gets loads of the usual stuff!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for these-it's stopped raining, low water at 9.00-so it's on with the waders and off I go!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts