World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help Anybody got a flushing system for there outboard,I have got one for my 90hp but when I fix it to the water inlet nothing happens the water is all over and not coming out of the water outlet which will make it overheat,dont know what to do ,I was wondering if you had to block the vents off

Tommy

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Flushing kit is meant to flush engine whilst it is not running if you mean the fitting that screws into the engine and attatches directly to the hose pipe. Never been too impressed with them myself.

If you want to run the engine and flush it use a pair of flush muffs. These go over the water inlets just below the cav plate. there are 2 types, a single inlet

http://www.seamarknunn.co.uk/catalog/items/item2705.htm

these are OK for engines up to 50hp IMHO but for larger HP I like to use these:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/cata...arClassCode=2&hvarSubCode=7&hvarTarget=browse

G

·
hello tommy

just a point had same thing with mine even the flush muffs wouldnt work with mine thought id bought a duffer tried it in a water butt, hey presto.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your advice I was using new flush muffs but when i started my motor no water came out of the outlet hole so i stopped my motor ,water just went on to the floor,any advice

Tommy

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've just bought the fitting to screw into the flush hole on my Johnson. It is (i hope) a standard Hozelock male fitting with the hose pipe attachment on the other end. Simply click the hose onto the fitting. Cost 2.99 'ish. Havn't tested it yet cause not seeing the boat until August but think its standard 3/4 inch thread.
If no water coming from the telltale then there could be a build up of salt deposit or a bit of weed or other crud. Hopefully you can pull the pipe off the back of the telltale and clean it out. Otherwise a complete flush out but i 've never had to do that. Also check enough pressure from the tap. Mine needs a certain amount of water pressure to flush properly.

Freddy

·
Registered
182 Posts
Tommy

I've got a 75hp Mariner 2 stroke and have just flushed the engine with clean water for the first time. I bought a pair of basic muffs off ebay, attached the hose to one end, clamped them over the water inlet holes and turned the tap on, turned the engine on and hey presto, water came out of the holes in a nice stream. I ran it for about 5 mins. I even "tasted" the dirty water by just dabbing some on my tongue and it was reasonably salty which suggests that the cleaning process was working.

If water is not coming out, you may well have a blockage. Be very careful running your engine if the water streams are not working as you may damage the engine. Also ensure that you have sufficient water pressure from the hose. Better that there's too much water than not enough.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
This is why I like the muffs that are fed from both sides on the large engines. Make sure they are a tight fit over the inlets on the leg, Sometimes the metal hoop needs a bit of a squeeze to ensure a tight fit. The single inlet muffs are usually circular and these don't completely cover the inlet on larger engines.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again Chrisp ,the muffs i have were for my motor size,they just let water run down the leg your advice to squeeze the metal hoop might work because it is slack on the leg.i dont start my motor without water going through it as i no what damage it can do,dose the water come out of the motor leg with the muffs on before i start it,i have always used a barrel before i purchased the muffs

Thanks again Chrisp for your prompt advice

Tommy James

·
Registered
182 Posts
Tommy - there will be a leak of some water - quite a bit - from around the muffs but when the engine is running there should still be water spurting out of the outlet holes. If you read the manual (if you have one) for the engine it tells you that quite a lot of water runs from around the edges of the muffs.

You can also hold on to the muffs whilst the engine is running. I know that this sounds risky advice but if the engine is left in neutral, the prop. will not of course run. They advise that you take the prop. off but I see no need for this. If you are going to do this then just take a little bit of care. You can then hold the muffs fairly well clamped to the water inlet holes - water will still escape though.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everybody for your help,your advice was spot on and the muffs work now

what a helpful lot you are, no where to come for advice now fantastic

Tommy James

1 - 11 of 11 Posts