World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's now only two weeks before Christmas . Suddenly we have turned the heaters down , this week weather has changed dramatically . But with little wind in store we decided to go . It's minus 8 this morning and the hopes are high . Going pollacking the Clyde . It's again a light adventure , light spinning on the Lrf Rod . Josh , Ian and I made it to Gourock . This is the coldest day of the year . The sea is calm and the hopes are high . We dress accordingly for the day , warm underlay cosy suit under the dry suit , the water is still warm though . The sun is rising , bringing warmth, we paddle towards the sea . Using the same tactic the fish are beginning to show .
CLYDE 1 SPECIAL A-2426.jpg
CLYDE 1 SPECIAL B-2401.jpg
CLYDE 1 SPECIAL D-2422.jpg
CLYDE 1 SPECIAL F-2396.jpg
CLYDE 1 SPECIAL G-2398.jpg

Certainly we have found the Clyde alive . But how can we improve this area even better to make it like in the old days ?

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Hi nicolas, I don't know if the recreational angler can improve the Clyde, most do catch and release, taking the odd one home.
The problem is the trawlers fishing for prawn etc, if you look at where they trawl, they go as close as possible to the rough ground, wether it be a reef or island.
The Clyde is mostly sand, mud and gravel making it ideal for prawns to breed. So your open ground, where your cod, haddock and flatties etc would be feeding is getting ripped up, so they'll be very few if any fish holding marks on the Clyde.
Your rough ground marks will hold pollack, wrasse, kelpies,conger etc, the edges where it hits clean ground you'll get coalies, small haddock, whiting.
The area your fishing at the gamble steps your right into deep water for the ferry, it's very rough ground close in, fishing bait will throw up a few surprises. To the left towards cardwell bay there's a sandbank about 70 yards out that you can catch dab.
Cardwell itself was very good for flatties but I haven't fished it for years.

Cheers Willie
It's now only two weeks before Christmas . Suddenly we have turned the heaters down , this week weather has changed dramatically . But with little wind in store we decided to go . It's minus 8 this morning and the hopes are high . Going pollacking the Clyde . It's again a light adventure , light spinning on the Lrf Rod . Josh , Ian and I made it to Gourock . This is the coldest day of the year . The sea is calm and the hopes are high . We dress accordingly for the day , warm underlay cosy suit under the dry suit , the water is still warm though . The sun is rising , bringing warmth, we paddle towards the sea . Using the same tactic the fish are beginning to show . View attachment 1037292 View attachment 1037294 View attachment 1037298 View attachment 1037300 View attachment 1037302
Certainly we have found the Clyde alive . But how can we improve this area even better to make it like in the old days ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts