World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I start. I had to leave home for a meeting so was up at 5.30 in the morning, not a good idea if being followed by an all night session. Work getting in the way of fishing.

Met up with Fishy-Rob, One Cod Bob and a guy called Northern Steve. Trawled our way up to Orford arriving at about 2.30pm. Went into the Jolly Sailor for a pint and hopefully a late pie, to be told, sorry we’re closed. (Bar stewards).

Walked up to the Kings Head and were told, time for one only.

Got on the boat and headed off to the Narrows.

I broke the duck with a small Codling. But although at the end of the day I ended up with four small Codling to 2.5 lbs, I threw all of them including the biggest one back thinking it not worth keeping, as I under-estimated its weight; only to see later that night Fishy-Rob get one of marginally smaller size which he had to despatch as it had punctured its bladder, but weighed in at 2lbs 4oz. I also got my first Smoothound, a whiting and 3 dogfish. Unfortunately forgot to take a photo of it as it a new species for the DVice.

Fishy-Rob knocked me into second place by landing a fifth codling on his last cast. But Steve, who had never caught a dogfish, was pleased to catch 3, plus whiting and Codling.

Onecodbob, did his best to live up to his name, but failed miserably by catching 3, some whiting and a few dogs.

I discovered one thing that evening. Don’t wind in your rods, and have a kip on the beach with a warm southerly wind. It started to rain, woke me up and I had to move into the Bivvy. Mind you after that the wind turned to the north and it got very cold.

All fish with the exception of Rob’s, who caught all of his on peeler, were caught on Lug/Squid cocktails. Surprisingly for me, as an experiment I used a lug/squid head on one rod and lug/squid strips, on the other. In independent tests 9 out of 9 fish told me they preferred the Squid Head to the strips. All were lip hooked fortunately.

We all used the DVice, which worked admirably and I managed the whole session without a birdie or crack off using my multis all night, which I was pleased about.

I think the considered opinion was that the tide being a neap did not help matters with the decent size fish, albeit very little weed was around to cause difficulties as well.

G

·
That doesn't sound like a bad session all told! You're getting too used to catching lots of fish!! Still think of all those doggies waiting for you at Bexi!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Nice report Edgey, going again myself next Friday, was planning on the Jolly Sailor myself but maybe not if they close early.

I found better success with squid heads than strip. I think the fish get attracted to the tenticles flapping, and the ink when you punture the eye.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice report Edgey, going again myself next Friday, was planning on the Jolly Sailor myself but maybe not if they close early.

I found better success with squid heads than strip. I think the fish get attracted to the tenticles flapping, and the ink when you punture the eye.
Would appear to be the case, good luck and tight lines.

·
Registered
603 Posts

I got told to try dye your squid with red food dye which I did caught a nice bass on tenticles and the body in strips is good for whiting.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Entertaining report mate, well done on what you did catch. (still a good bag in books)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hello Edgey, i was 1 of the 6 other guys out there that night. Must say only had 3 sizable cod upto 3lb 8oz but had 22 smaller ones, 31 whiting, 19 dogfish a dab and a 3lb smoothound, rods didnt stop all night.
The guy in our party nearest you had 4 cod between 1lb 12oz and 4lb 8oz plus another 40+ bits and pieces.
The small stuff didnt really give the bigger stuff a chance where we were and as said most fish coming on lug and squid with crab offered every cast but not to much on it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Guy in the jolly sailor could carry on serving because he was counting the cuttlery lol, great excuse

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello Edgey, i was 1 of the 6 other guys out there that night. Must say only had 3 sizable cod upto 3lb 8oz but had 22 smaller ones, 31 whiting, 19 dogfish a dab and a 3lb smoothound, rods didnt stop all night.
The guy in our party nearest you had 4 cod between 1lb 12oz and 4lb 8oz plus another 40+ bits and pieces.
The small stuff didnt really give the bigger stuff a chance where we were and as said most fish coming on lug and squid with crab offered every cast but not to much on it.
Well done Richie and I am glad you had a good night. Mind you I feel we were all bit drained in the morning. LOL

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
been there before mate thought i would get a nice couple of pints of adnams and both were closed so had to settle for a ice cream instead.

good report and keep them comming, but yes once them doggies arrive try just neat lug instaed it does put them of a bit and give the codling a chance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts