World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using hermit crab? I've been given a couple of hundred lovely big hermits so I've frozen them. Will be shore fishing on the south coast around Hampshire, any good results? Cheers

S

·
0 Posts
Had a few bass recently , didn't have any luck on smuts using them as have loads in bait frezz , good cod bait up north as my mate swears by them up there giving me loads this year

S

·
0 Posts
yep got to be worth a few mixed with squid fired out as they have great scent in the bulbs of the body

·
Registered
577 Posts
You will catch everything on Hermits. When they were about I rarely used anything else always had a pot out to collect. Sadly the whelk fishing boats wiped out the big whelks in about a year so nowhere for the big Hermits to live.If you put a pot out now you get none.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
You will catch everything on Hermits. When they were about I rarely used anything else always had a pot out to collect. Sadly the whelk fishing boats wiped out the big whelks in about a year so nowhere for the big Hermits to live.If you put a pot out now you get none.
How do those boats target whelks? Seems an interesting quarry.

·
Registered
9,477 Posts
The south coast boat anglers had hit the hermits hard before the whelkers got there .

We used to get more full size whelks than hermits towards the end of the smut season !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anyone using hermit crab? I've been given a couple of hundred lovely big hermits so I've frozen them. Will be shore fishing on the south coast around Hampshire, any good results? Cheers
got some in tanks with air stone had a week now change water regular good cod cocktail bait round our shore scarborough area

·
Registered
9,477 Posts
got some in tanks with air stone had a week now change water regular good cod cocktail bait round our shore scarborough area
Got a mini hermit in the fishtank , not changed the water and only cleaned the filter after 7 months !

Has changed shells a couple of times and will soon be big enough for dab bait !;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts