World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys .....after a long layoff from Sea Angling I'm getting myself sorted for a start up in the Spring firstly chasing Smoothounds and Bass from the southern shoreline .:)
My question is a couple of points..... firstly would frozen Hermits be a viable bait for the Smoothies, or is it only worth using peelers for a realistic chance of regular success?

I suppose to make this easier would you regard frozen crab in either hermit or peelers second best for the above species?
(sorry for a little rambling!)

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Used Hermits fresh and frozen from the boats for years, top bait!
Need lots of elastic for casting !

Get some live hardbacks , easy to find and other fish do not bother them !

I have used peeler crab very little !

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Used Hermits fresh and frozen from the boats for years, top bait! Need lots of elastic for casting !
If you take the claws and legs off then pass the hook through the tail end, and out near the mouth and then turn it so the head lies in the bend of the hook you can cast hermits big distances without any elastic. I've done this many times and caught cod on them.

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
Never used hermit/Tell pie, but always intrigued as to where the best ground is to gather them?
I obviously see the odd one or two in rock pools, but think it would take me many hours to gather enough for a worthwhile session.
Do you guys know something I don't about finding or breeding them?!
:)

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Never used hermit/Tell pie, but always intrigued as to where the best ground is to gather them?
I obviously see the odd one or two in rock pools, but think it would take me many hours to gather enough for a worthwhile session.
Do you guys know something I don't about finding or breeding them?!
:)

try n find yourself a whelk potter

the bycatch of hermits is very high
used to buy onion sacks full of live ones off a guy in grimsby ( commercial whelker ) for a fiver a sack.
he used to just leave em hanging off the jetty for collection when he wernt there

for smuts, best used fresh, for cod in the winter, just leave em in the net in the garden till they start crawing out the shell, and chuck em in the freezer on a tray

really good bait for cod on the rough
but then again, stinking festering freshwater mussels that have been left in a bucket to go black are hard to beat!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Not just whelk potters catch them. Crab potters also catch many hermit crabs at times. I've had them from my mates who pot off Hornsea.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts