World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
itching to get out and play with my new toy, I was going to head to Sarnie bay on Sunday night but the cold ENE put me off considerably!
What to do then? I'd heard of a couple of rays the last day or two from Herne Bay but with quite a big tide and h/w at nearly 4am it was far from ideal!!
By 2030 I was poised to leave home and still undecided but once I started driving I really couldn't be arsed to go far so Herne Bay it was despite l/w not until 21:45. o_O
I got to my spot and set up, the water was not as far off as I thought it would be, in fact it was nearly at the break water.
I waded out a few yards and cast.
I continued setting up base and fannying about as you do and by the time I looked up the little water that was there had gone!!!
I walked out on the sand to see how far and found a lead.... With a live ray still attached to the trace! A good sign I thought!!! I unhooked her and carried her back to the water then watched it swim off in 6" of water!!
The tide had gone off a fair ways by now so I went back to the rod and wound in, as I wound I walked out and eventually right up to my trace which was sitting in about 2" of water :D:D:D
I walked a few more yards and cast out again, by the time I got back to the edge of the beach I had very little line left, just a few turns!!:eek:
Product Tire Pipe Wheel

Kinda hoping I didn't get anything too big at this point!!
Back to walking the sand again and picked up another lead, as I did I could hear a disturbance in the water in front of me, I walked over to find the ray I'd liberated had turned round and beached itself!!!:rolleyes:
Back it went again, and as it was virtually dead on low by now I figured it'd be ok and I walked back to the shore for a coffee and to set up my second rod ready for the tide.
I wasn't waiting too long and by 22:45 I was up and running with both rods.
20mins went by and I had a couple of little rattles on the new rod with all the line out, had an arm aching time retrieving it all but eventually landed a very skinny but sizeable whiting. 2nd cast and I get a fish on it, at least it's not a Jonah!! :)

Out it went again and it was fairly quiet. I was fishing both rods with bluey and up n overs purely for the rays. With the cold wind, rough sea and fairly big tide I was sceptical!!
However...... 01:45, I'd had a bit of an iffy cast on the second rod and had to sort out a bit of an overrun, I'd returned it to the rest and was just winding on a bit of tension when the other pulled right over! I virtually fell arse over tit scrabbling over the shingle to get hold of it but eventually struck in and Ray on!! I didn't think it was very big but it's hard to tell the first time out with a new weapon, a short but spirited fight and a 4lbs male came up the beach. :)
Fish

No.10 for the year and definately a happy sight!!
Another half hour went by and a classic slack line bite saw a second male come in at 3lbs 8oz. No.11, just two behind my whole tally for last year.... And we're in March!!
Small fish but beats blanking or dozing on the sofa!!!
Fish Recreation
That was my lot for the night and my phone battery died so I had no idea what time it was, what state the tide was and wouldn't be able to take pics.... Not to mention I was shattered!!! Got back to the van and it was 02:58. Late enough I thought!!!
Was well happy with my new acquisition, 2 rays and a ting on its first outing can't be bad!! :D:):D:):D:p

·
Registered
74 Posts
Great report especially as its my home town producing good fish as always. Gutted iv not fished for years as got rid of rods n reels (Fool i am). But honestly this report makes me feel fishy for fishing and am saving my pennies.
Good Report and Pics

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great report especially as its my home town producing good fish as always. Gutted iv not fished for years as got rid of rods n reels (Fool i am). But honestly this report makes me feel fishy for fishing and am saving my pennies.
Good Report and Pics
My home town too.... And all my best fish have come out of it too!!!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Well done Ben..and a good report.
It sometimes pays not to go too far...and hernebay is as good as anywhere this time of year imo.
Glad you like the new rod.
Just for the record...i night fished Seasalter once in dead calm and very foggy conditions...and didnt realise the water had left the beach.. LOL

·
Registered
195 Posts
Great report and nice job on the ray - just acquired one of these rods myself! Absokutely fantastic although im yet to catch a fish on it yet! lol

·
Registered
687 Posts
Another great trip and report Ben, really cashing in on the rays this year - I mean who needs bass anyway ;)

I'm heading out tonight but will be braving the chilly easterlies of sarnie bay, fishing the tide at herne bay tonight is a bit much on the work night, I would be broken for a week!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
great report it really gets the adrenilin going to read fish are being caught 6 weeks will fly by or i will blow a fuse with excitement. Well done that man great report most enjoyable read aswell thank you. happy fishing stay safe always

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another great trip and report Ben, really cashing in on the rays this year - I mean who needs bass anyway ;)

I'm heading out tonight but will be braving the chilly easterlies of sarnie bay, fishing the tide at herne bay tonight is a bit much on the work night, I would be broken for a week!
I only went last night because I had the day off today, still not completely awake though!! It's tough going and I didn't even fish the whole tide.
I think there'll be a few about next week on the neap tides depending on the weather. Be interested to hear how you get on at sarnie, I've got a comp along there next week!
Tight lines

·
Read Only
2,618 Posts
Well done Ben good report as usual think those late nights and the drive home would be a killer for me now.....it wasn't that to long ago you would be very lucky to land a ray off the beach and now they seem to be everywhere......did you catch on your new toy....

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well done Ben good report as usual think those late nights and the drive home would be a killer for me now.....it wasn't that to long ago you would be very lucky to land a ray off the beach and now they seem to be everywhere......did you catch on your new toy....
Yes Pete.... All three fish were on it, it's gonna be my lucky rod!! Haha

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well done Stormtrooper , were you far out for these ? It was pins and crabs only the other day for all three of us.
The wind made casting a little difficult but I think I was still chucking it a fair distance.... I'd guess about 80-100yds. Hard to tell in the dark!!!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Guess they are prepared to move in a little more as the night comes, daylight in shallow water might be the problem ...... here's hoping the next week and a little warmth bring the brothers. Met a Mr French from Kent Sportcast down there last time and chatted about casting, might try to get over for a few pointers later in the month.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nicely done :)

I was down there on the day tide before you was and lost a fish and rig at distance, wonder if it was mine with the ray lol
It was a 3 hook flapper with size 1 hooks. Red break away lead.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I only went last night because I had the day off today, still not completely awake though!! It's tough going and I didn't even fish the whole tide.
I think there'll be a few about next week on the neap tides depending on the weather. Be interested to hear how you get on at sarnie, I've got a comp along there next week!
Tight lines
Just got in, if was awful. Howling onshore as expected but couldn't even get my shelter up. Freezing cold and only lasted 2 hours, 1 greedy dogfish. Could fish it's nuts off after this blow :)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just got in, if was awful. Howling onshore as expected but couldn't even get my shelter up. Freezing cold and only lasted 2 hours, 1 greedy dogfish. Could fish it's nuts off after this blow :)
I hope it stops blowing next weekend then!! Cheers for that. Unlucky.

·
Registered
523 Posts
itching to get out and play with my new toy, I was going to head to Sarnie bay on Sunday night but the cold ENE put me off considerably!
What to do then? I'd heard of a couple of rays the last day or two from Herne Bay but with quite a big tide and h/w at nearly 4am it was far from ideal!!
By 2030 I was poised to leave home and still undecided but once I started driving I really couldn't be arsed to go far so Herne Bay it was despite l/w not until 21:45. o_O
I got to my spot and set up, the water was not as far off as I thought it would be, in fact it was nearly at the break water.
I waded out a few yards and cast.
I continued setting up base and fannying about as you do and by the time I looked up the little water that was there had gone!!!
I walked out on the sand to see how far and found a lead.... With a live ray still attached to the trace! A good sign I thought!!! I unhooked her and carried her back to the water then watched it swim off in 6" of water!!
The tide had gone off a fair ways by now so I went back to the rod and wound in, as I wound I walked out and eventually right up to my trace which was sitting in about 2" of water :D:D:D
I walked a few more yards and cast out again, by the time I got back to the edge of the beach I had very little line left, just a few turns!!:eek:
View attachment 358178
Kinda hoping I didn't get anything too big at this point!!
Back to walking the sand again and picked up another lead, as I did I could hear a disturbance in the water in front of me, I walked over to find the ray I'd liberated had turned round and beached itself!!!:rolleyes:
Back it went again, and as it was virtually dead on low by now I figured it'd be ok and I walked back to the shore for a coffee and to set up my second rod ready for the tide.
I wasn't waiting too long and by 22:45 I was up and running with both rods.
20mins went by and I had a couple of little rattles on the new rod with all the line out, had an arm aching time retrieving it all but eventually landed a very skinny but sizeable whiting. 2nd cast and I get a fish on it, at least it's not a Jonah!! :)
View attachment 358186
Out it went again and it was fairly quiet. I was fishing both rods with bluey and up n overs purely for the rays. With the cold wind, rough sea and fairly big tide I was sceptical!!
However...... 01:45, I'd had a bit of an iffy cast on the second rod and had to sort out a bit of an overrun, I'd returned it to the rest and was just winding on a bit of tension when the other pulled right over! I virtually fell arse over tit scrabbling over the shingle to get hold of it but eventually struck in and Ray on!! I didn't think it was very big but it's hard to tell the first time out with a new weapon, a short but spirited fight and a 4lbs male came up the beach. :)
View attachment 358194
No.10 for the year and definately a happy sight!!
Another half hour went by and a classic slack line bite saw a second male come in at 3lbs 8oz. No.11, just two behind my whole tally for last year.... And we're in March!!
Small fish but beats blanking or dozing on the sofa!!! View attachment 358202 That was my lot for the night and my phone battery died so I had no idea what time it was, what state the tide was and wouldn't be able to take pics.... Not to mention I was shattered!!! Got back to the van and it was 02:58. Late enough I thought!!!
Was well happy with my new acquisition, 2 rays and a ting on its first outing can't be bad!! :D:):D:):D:p
View attachment 358210
Well done Ben on getting a couple, that's a lovely rod that mate and great pics .
I couldn't help but notice that you had your hand on your groin in one of the pics ?
Enjoy your Ray fishing do you :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.