World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Todays trip was out of Herne Bay. It meant an early start Raymondo94b got to me from Woking at 0530 and we set off arriving at Herne Bay at 0630. We met up with Flounder2 (Darren) and Whopper (Lee) and were in the water and away by 0700. This was Lees first ever boat fishing trip and he was after his first Thornback as were Ray and Darren. The sea was absolutely flat calm with barely a ripple but we had a very thick mist to contend with on our journey to the first mark 5 miles to the east. Visibility was no more than about 30 yds which made it interesting avoiding the various bouys and net markers which would loom out of the mist right in front of us.
Ray quickly had the first Roker of about 5lb to a pennell rigged squid. No sooner had he landed that one that Darren caught his first, a nice fish of 6lb 9oz. It then went quiet so went a couple of miles further east. This was where Lee caught his first ever, a bigger one at 8lb 4oz. Not to be outdone Darren then had his second, the best of the day at 9lb 8oz.
A move back towards the Woolpack saw both Ray and Darren lose good fish and while Lee had a problem with his reel something took a whiting that he had unwittingly hooked while sorting out his reel problem. All that was left of it was half the head.
Darren had a small smooth hound and we all had a few doggies. While anchored there was the occasional splash nearby which we put down to Bass so we changed over to plugs and tried trolling around the old wartime forts with no luck.
On the way back in Lee and I saw something that looked like a dolphin or porpoise just south of the wind farm so went back for another look. Sure enough it was a porpoise which appeared to be on its own and now and again would surface for a few seconds.
The real fun started when we tried to get back in to the harbour. The place was crawling with b%^$£y jetskiers and sunday boaters that had no idea of the rules of the sea. An hour passed before we could finally get the boat out the water.
Not a fantastic day for fish but all 3 of my crew had their first roker while I ended up with a solitary doggie. Lee managed not to chuck up, not a bad achievement for his first trip, we all caught the sun and had an enjoyable day.

Ray with his Roker

Darren with his

A very happy Lee with his one (excuse the nappy:) )

Darren bringing in his second

to be safely netted by Ray

Darren again with the biggest of the day

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Welldone Chaps,,,a Cracking Report With Great Pics ,,,,,,,terry ,i Bet There Be Buzzing For A While Now,,,,,great When You Catch A First Speacies

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hi all,

Once again Terry and myself had a great day and i met another new face to the boat fishing lark. It was also good to see Darren again (winning team!).
To be honest i dont like Herne Bay very much and it wouldn't bother me if i didn't get another chance to fish there again, I suppose i have been spoiled by wreck fishing but i will say that it was a fantastic day and i caught my very first Thornback in 29 years of fishing. So i have something to be grateful about to the place. We all got some great pictures too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
great report and quality pic's there terry.well done on getting them thornies lads.

you just gotta get one off the beach now whop!!!!(errr me too:banghead: ).....dave.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Great fun again, fantastic weather ... feeling a little raw with sunburn. My eyes are only just recovering after 'team Ray's' captain hid my sunglasses! Anyway, it was the righteous that won out! Hooray for team Ray!

Team Ray: Ray and Darren
Team Terry: the other two!

Seriously though, thanks for a great day guys.... Cascars, Raymondo69b.1a2, and Whopper.

Cheers:clap3:

Das

PS Terry takes a good photo, it makes me look slimmer, but then again, I am sure my fish looked bigger than that in real life!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well done on all getting your first thornies :)

I will put a report on in a while as I am being shouted at to go and eat my dinner.

Malcolm.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
I had a real good time! No groundbaiting for me, and to be honest if you have a positive mental attitude thats half the battle (And the fact the sea was like a mirror:) ). Im well pleased with my Roker and its sitting in the kitchen sink as we speak covered in ice ready to be de-winged. I had to take it home to show my daughter as i knew she would be fascinated! She took one look at it and said "are we going to cook it then! LOL. I also caught a whiting and a pair of fish lips LOL, well thats all that was left of it, incredible must have been a seal?

I'll put some picks up in a mo when i de wing the roker and apply some after sun, im burnt!!

Oh and Terry didnt have to eat the manky squid after all:) .

Good to meet ray and darren, top blokes. And as for the skipper well he put me where my first Roker was and thats the main thing.:)

Pics to follow.

Edit..Oh and about the nappy thing ITS A BAITING UP TOWEL:unsure: :unsure:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im really pleased I kept my promise to get you one Lee cos that squid looked really rank after being in the sun all day:yucky:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad you all had a good day, well done whopper on your first roker, Well done fellas,

Regards

Ubd

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Some pics for you :)

Very foggy on the way out.

Ray with his Roker.

Like a mill pond!

Darren with his Thorny.

The old forts.

End piece of Herne Bay pier.
Enjoy!

Oh yeah i have just finished sorting out my skate wings. Skin, etc What grief that is!

Beautifull, wind turbines in the background.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great pictures Lee..

Corrie said well done on the thornback too. :)

Now we need to catch one from the shore...

Malcolm.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If Whopper hadn't caught his roker, at least Terry would have had a choice of squid... Whopper brought along some real nice fresh squid just in case.... whereas Terry must have been confident due to the state of Terry's fantastically manky squid... brave man! However, saying that, it was the manky squid that caught me my 9lb er!:fish:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts