World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i decided to fish Herne Bay today. I wanted to fish from low tide at 4.15pm up until 10pmish, but by the time i had got back from London, sorted my gear and drove there it was more like 5.15-5.30pm. As i got to the shore i could see that the water was still coming in but the mark i was looking for was still slightly uncovered, so i decided to set up to the left of this bank (Rand) to try my chances at getting a hound or a Bass. First chuck out with peeler crab (i didnt use anything else), i had a big knock but when i brought it in there was nothing.

At around 7.00pm i was met up with Dave (Excel) who i had arranged to meet down there. The fishing was slow and the waves were quite choppy with a strong NE wind. It looked like ideal bass weather! Dave set up and started to fish to the right of me. One of my rigs that i reeled in was literally tied in knots and covered in slime....guess what that was then??!! Lucy (the wife) had now turned up with sausage and chips for my dinner and sat and watched me and Dave fish, although she did moan about the weather! LOL.

So i continued and when i next reeled in i had a nice eel of around 1/2lb in size. The stupid thing had taken the hook straight through its jaw and decided to wrap a shed load of mono round its snout, thus clamping its jaws shut with the hook inside! It was a nightmare to free the thing to say the least! But hey at least i didnt blank. By 8pm Dave and i decided it was time to call it a day, with a small tide of 4.4m and the conditions i didnt hope for much else. It was at this point dave asked if i wanted to go to the pub. So lucy made her way home in her car and i followed Dave to Herne bay Angling Club. I have never been there before and i was surprised how big it was inside. I saw the British record boat caught bass up on the wall stuffed, its a beast! All the guys in the club were very friendly and quite a few of them had very very good local knowledge. A few even getting double sized bass from Herne bay beach most years (You dont hear about that often!). I even met a record holder, a lad who caught a blenny or gobby cant remember now of 3 grames!!! LOL he had to take it to a post office to get it weighed as no one else had scales small enough LOL.:lmao: :D

I get the feeling now that Herne bay fishing wise has alot more to offer than i originally thought, its all about local knowledge, timing, hitting the tides when they are right, knowing marks well etc etc. It has certainly given me a enlightened view of what herne bay has to offer.

Cheers Dave (Excel) for showing me the mark (another knowledgable bloke with good experience), oh and i owe you a pint next time.

Enough of me warbling on now for the pics....

The mark. Locally known as the Rand.

Looking up the beach towards bishopstone glen.

Satan spawn eel YUK!

Tightlines.

Lee.:)

A

·
0 Posts
A good report Lee, and a nice snotty to boot, I hope you froze it, :unsure: for use as Tope bait later in the year, but wheres the photo of the sausage and chips?:)

Regards

Ubd

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A good report Lee, and a nice snotty to boot, I hope you froze it, :unsure: for use as Tope bait later in the year, but wheres the photo of the sausage and chips?:)

Regards

Ubd
Mate that didnt even touch the sides, i was starving!!!:) :clap2:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hi Lee,

At least you didn't blank mate.
Nice to see your still wearing that silly man skirt after all the banter you took out on the boat with us the other week!

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Lee,

At least you didn't blank mate.
Nice to see your still wearing that silly man skirt after all the banter you took out on the boat with us the other week!
Hi Ray,

Tell you what mate, that baiting up towel is the best bit of kit ive got, allways got something to wipe my hands on, rather than my jeans! Suits me though doesn't it:) , not sure on the colour though!

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stick one in the wash with some turquoise clothes dye and your sorted:) :blink: .

I have thought about the Newhaven trip but moneys a bit tight, perhaps the next one:)

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
nice one fella,,at least you did nt blank

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
That's not much of a tangle, last one I had I had to cut the rig off the bloody thing! :uhuh:

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those eels just love a bit of self harm! Totally tied my rig in knots, ive had to dismantle the rig.

D

·
0 Posts
good report and pic's whop.i think i know where that mark(the rand)is.sure i've been there when i was a kid....dave.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Whop

I still think I'd rather get the wife to sew a couple of towling patches on my jeans than wear a nappy!!!:clap2:

Retro 80's styling!

Das

Team Raymondo 07

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Toweling baiting up towels are the hotset thing about at the moment!LOL.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice evening out Lee...Tell Dave not to be so tight and get the boat out :)

You like nice in that towel by the way...Try it in the summer,nothing else,just that and heels :blink:

Ron
LOL Yeah i'll knock em dead! :) In that weather i would have been throwing up my kidneys if i was out on a boat!:boat:

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Hi WHopper
Nice pinny.
and is that the Rand or the Strand.
Quite deep water to the west side of it too
Where were the para surfer thingies, a right pain thay are.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
100% sure its called the Rand. Its similar to the "Street" in whitstable but not as long/big. Nice gullies/low areas each side which cause food to get washed into them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts