World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently caught a turbot on a chunk of herring, has anyone had sucess with this bait or was it just a fluke?
:blink:

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Herring is THE bait for rays in the South East, and a strip of herring accounted for the shore caught cod record. :)

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Ive had bass on it too! I think the skin has a slightly more eye catching flash than a mackeral. If there fresh enough its quite bright and a good attractant {sp?} to predator type fish.

Oh and what Rob says as well.

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
had whiting,doggies and dabs on it.fished off mumbles and found the dabs preferred it to sticky black lug:g:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
i caught some a few weeks ago fishing for launce on the shambles. used it as bait for the first time off the beach. i caught only dogs that night and herring accounted for most of them, it outfished eels and fresh mack! not really conclusive as all i found out is that dogfish like it!

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
i used herring, and had a massive bite, it pulled my rod of the tripod and dragged my nice new greys down the beach!!! i wasnt there so one of the anglers next to me ran after my rod, but what ever took the bait bit through the snood!!!!

this was in feb 07!!!

Jamie

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the info guys, well I guess herring is on the bait menu a bit more often now!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
i used herring, and had a massive bite, it pulled my rod of the tripod and dragged my nice new greys down the beach!!! i wasnt there so one of the anglers next to me ran after my rod, but what ever took the bait bit through the snood!!!!

this was in feb 07!!!

Jamie
a conger maybe....:g:

·
Registered
427 Posts
i think herring is a better bait than mackerel especially in cocktails or when used as a tip bait & have had more success with herring when using it on it's own compared to mackerel. I also believe wee herring flappers are the bait for shore conger. - cheers keith

·
Registered
856 Posts
Where do you all get your herring from? I've never noticed them in the tackle shops. :g:
Cheers.

·
Registered
696 Posts
any decent mackeral spots should throw up herring during the last couple hours of light. I had about 40 lastnight with about 20 mackeral. Use small feathers, sizes 4 to 6 hooks, you will lose loads tho as they are soft fish so drop off easily.

martin

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Don't bother with herring from a fishmonger...their "fresh" is nothing like an anglers fresh. A fresh herring straight from the sea should positively sparkle with iridescence, and be almost dripping with oil. The Clacton dinghy lads (and the Felixstowe gang) all knew the value of ultrafresh 'errin lollies, diagonal chunks cut from the aforementioned proper 'errin, a 3/0 hook inserted, and frozen as quick as possible with the hook in. In my formative years I have sat in a 14.5ft clinker dinghy and seagull, less than a mile off Holland Haven, with the bottom of the boat covered in 6 roker from 9 to 14lb between 2 anglers. Those were the days, I'm sure the bait will still work if you get the herrings fresh straight off the boat. Worth a serious try.

philtherod

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Herring holds its own against mackeral - they both oily fish and do a similiar job. I generally find that herring is of higher quality than mackeral from the fish mongers/supermarket and its smaller flakes make it a bit tougher when its old - those big thick pieces of mackeral with big flaks arnt as good for tipping - purely from a staying on the hook and hooking perspective.

But that is all from the perspective of supermarket fish, and phrases ive used like 'tougher' are all relative in this case ;)

A good tip is that you can lightly salt it and leave for about 6 hours before freezing, if you get it right, you get a really strong saline solution made with the flesh juices and this stops the fish flesh from actually freezing - more a winter thing really though when your scratching for baits.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They are hard to catch, because of their soft mouths, but when they arrive there is a kind of chinese whisper that goes round the North Wales Danglers "The herring are in the pool" I've still not sussed out what they're on about but it does add a bit of mystery. I bought mine from the local supermarket, it had been previously frozen, I filleted it, refroze portions of fillet and just bunged it on the hook. Guess I was just in the right place at the right time and the fish was very hungry as it was quite a savage take, I thought It was a bass at first.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, I'm off to "the pool"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts