World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dave, [monkeyhinger] and myself decided to have a couple of hours on the heugh. its been quite a while since i fished here so the change of scenery itself was a nice change.

there was still a nice sea on, so there was always the chance something decent could turn up. thinking that we decided not to use size 2s and upped it size 1/0s. these would still land a fish to a couple of pounds but give us a bit of sport with the odd smaller fish.

there were 2 lads fishing the end and 2 on the inside. bob c.... had just turned up before us smiling and chatty as usual.

we were getting bites every cast on the end but from mainly small fish. one of the other 2 guys on the end managed 2 codling both around 2lb. that was nice to see and built our hopes up. we got small dabs and whiting regularly but mainly undersize. bob left about 10pm, [bed was calling]. dave managed a codling just undersize and after bob left the bigger whiting came on. lots of these were a good size and worth keeping.

we left around midnight after having a pleasant evening. it got quite cold as the wind picked up around 9pm but towards top tide it died and then it was 2 coats warmer.

a nice night with bites every cast and nice seeing you again bob.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The 2 lads fishing on the inside were me and my brother, i had the Blue and Yellow fladen jacket on. We only fished for about 2 hours, left about 8:30pm.

Didnt catch a fish, but had a couple of bites. Also seen a porpoise swim by at about 7pm that was kinda cool to look at.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Hi Bill, it was nice to see you again and to meet Dave Monkeyhinger for the first time. Canny Geordie accent. Pity about the Cod but Sounds like you had a good night after i left anyway. I made the mistake of leaving off my Floatie and was bloody freezing. Weather at Trimdon was lovely though. Should Know by now. Anyway,will probs be down again midweek and Steetly Saturday ever hopeful there may be something still hanging around.

Cheers. Bob.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hi Bill, it was nice to see you again and to meet Dave Monkeyhinger for the first time. Canny Geordie accent. Pity about the Cod but Sounds like you had a good night after i left anyway. I made the mistake of leaving off my Floatie and was bloody freezing. Weather at Trimdon was lovely though. Should Know by now. Anyway,will probs be down again midweek and Steetly Saturday ever hopeful there may be something still hanging around.

Cheers. Bob.
Did you have a cap on?, and fishing of the corner dude?

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you have a cap on?, and fishing of the corner dude?
yes that was bob.

sorry i didnt know it was you. should have spoke up. you wernt in the best of spots to pick up a few fish. where you fished is mainly snags, as you found out. if theres no cod about you will struggle there to catch much at all. 20ft further foreward and casting towards seaton would have put you into a dip on the sea bed and clean ground at about 60yds. lots of fish get caught there including some of the bigger ones. dave headed there first.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yeah man, i wasnt to bothered about the snags i only had a few, my brother was getting really wound up, it was quite funny to watch. Thats the main reason we left before high tide.

Ill remember that for next time though, ive only ever fished there during the summer, i spend a lot of time on there during the summer months.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Nice report Bill shame the codling never showed. I got a half day 2moro and was thinking of hitting a sandy shallow beach do you think the flatties will be back in yet after big sea's?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Nice report Bill shame the codling never showed. I got a half day 2moro and was thinking of hitting a sandy shallow beach do you think the flatties will be back in yet after big sea's?
are you sick of loosing gear greg after saturday? is that why your heading for a sandy beach :) i dont blame you mate.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
are you sick of loosing gear greg after saturday? is that why your heading for a sandy beach :) i dont blame you mate.
It wasnt so much the loseing gear mate though it does pi$$ me off when at the end of a sesh when you have nothing to show for the oz's lost lol. I just want some sport and if the weather is like it has been today all the better. Hope i get another turbot fingers crossed

·
Registered
543 Posts
nice to here the huff still fishes whats happening on steetly ?? i was there sunday left bout 9 as i left this man pulled 1 in bout 2lb i no there was a 5lb bass off there is well nice to here big fish :)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hey Rassick, yes that was me. I spoke as i passed you going to the end. Should have said who you were. My WSF box stickers are big enough. Dude eh?

Cheers. Bob.
Yeah everyone is dude to me dude lol...... Next time mate ill give ya a shout, im sure we'll meet again on some pier or another. You do much summer fishing on the heugh dude???

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Sunday was pretty poor, i only had a dab and a whitting. I fished mid way between the stagings and the end casting off the heugh side. Saw a lad have a cod 3lb when i came on and another lad had one off the end about 8.30ish. There didnt seem to be that many fish around saying how good the sea looked. I might go up tomorrow and try fishing above the gate, although its only a smallish tide. Hopefully with it being calm the dab and whitting will feed more. It seems that most of the bass get caught in the gulley just below the gate.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Sunday was pretty poor, i only had a dab and a whitting. I fished mid way between the stagings and the end casting off the heugh side. Saw a lad have a cod 3lb when i came on and another lad had one off the end about 8.30ish. There didnt seem to be that many fish around saying how good the sea looked. I might go up tomorrow and try fishing above the gate, although its only a smallish tide. Hopefully with it being calm the dab and whitting will feed more. It seems that most of the bass get caught in the gulley just below the gate.
I hope ya dont mind dude but i kinda stole ya signature.....

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
No worries fella! I'm glad people feel the same way about it as i do. I get so wound up by the fact that someone thinks they can just put a lock on Middleton. It will be a sad day when Steetly comes down finally aswell, and that will be sooner than i think many of us realise. Eventually they will try to stop fishing on all piers in Hartlepool, and we musn't let them.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Very little on the Heugh, Go on Steetly a bit more but at times that avoid the Mackie crowds if possible. Might fish North Gare a bit more this year as well as the Boats. Will have plent time after June as i will be retired then so looking fprward to Summer.

Yeah everyone is dude to me dude lol...... Next time mate ill give ya a shout, im sure we'll meet again on some pier or another. You do much summer fishing on the heugh dude???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts