World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello the names gareth just bought a stripped out seahog 14ft on trailor with a Johnson 45 n the big seagull on the back haven't a clue on boats been a beach fisherman all my life just wondering if this was your project to do what would you do with it?? Day fishing boat obvs any new perspective is welcome :) just lookin for som advice and inspiration were to go as doin it up goes

·
Registered
11,701 Posts
All going to depend on what's wrong with it to start with - is the hull, deck and transom sound for instance? do the engines run? - are we talking a full rebuild or just kitting it out with fishing and safety gear to get it ready to go to sea?

Do you have any photos you could post?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The boats bare but decent ill just rub it down I Spose and repaint/anti-foul n there's nothin atall inside all needs redoing
Engine I was guna send off but the seagull looks ancient and the Johnson looks alrite but also looks like it cam from the 70s lol

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm a carpenter so the rebuild should be quite easy it's just I'm not quite sure if there's a right and wrong way to go about all of this :)

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
I'm a carpenter so the rebuild should be quite easy it's just I'm not quite sure if there's a right and wrong way to go about all of this :)
You are in a good place to start but forget everything you know about woodwork in the building trade! Avoid softwoods unless fully sheathed in fibreglass, use only A4 stainless fastenings, and assume gravity no longer holds things down. Things will need to be fixed in such a way they can be rolled around and slammed by waves and still hold together. Also you need to build light, so light and strong materials are essential otherwise the boat could end up unstable. I have seen some horrors made by good craftsmen just because they treated a boat like a shed.

·
Marmite
12,806 Posts
Hello the names gareth just bought a stripped out seahog 14ft on trailor with a Johnson 45 n the big seagull on the back haven't a clue on boats been a beach fisherman all my life just wondering if this was your project to do what would you do with it?? Day fishing boat obvs any new perspective is welcome :) just lookin for som advice and inspiration were to go as doin it up goes
Welcome to Wsf mate.

This is a great website to learn a lot. There is a lot of advice giving.

·
Registered
11,701 Posts
If the boat hasn't already been painted, think about cleaning, flatting and machine polishing instead - you will get a better result and and retain better value in the boat.

One other thing I would add to the above is to seal all fixings into the hull with Sikaflex, particularly any fixings which are screwing into a wooden core.

Make sure the engines are fully assessed before spending any money on them - it's quite easy with an older outboard to spend money to fix a problem, another problem surfaces, you fix that an so on and you soon find you've spent more than it would cost to buy a newer more reliable one. If the Seagull is not running I would think about selling it to an enthusiast - they still have a good following - and replacing it with a 4 or 5hp more recent engine - even a well cared for 15-20 year old two stroke can give good service.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there any makes off paints or company for windows and other bits any1 would recommend me using rather than what I can find with my limited knowledge

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
As been suggested if you can post up some good photo's of both inside and out I think you will get some more helpful info.

Regarding paint, again as been suggested get some G3 cutting compound and polish the hull and topsides. Using a good machine will save hours of hard work, don't forget to use water with the compound and don't press too hard in one area or you will take out the surface.

Seagull engine are normally good and reliable, however the two stroke mix can be 10:1 or 25:1 depending on what jets have been fitted. This would mean you would need to carry two lots of fuel on the boat as the main engine I suspect only needs 50:1 mix.

Best bit of advice is join your local boat fshing club as they will know who is best to contact in your local area for repairs and fixes.

Good luck & lets see some photo's.

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts