World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i'm a new member to the forum and a complete novice when it comes to fishing hence the reason for joining as i will definately need some help my youngest son has taken a real interest so i need to get involved, i have recently bought a ledger rod and sea reel from ebay as i figured that sea fishing would probably be the cheapest way to start up as no license is required i also bought some cod and mackerell rigs is this the right type of bait or lure for sea fishing?
I have been to kilkeel and cranfield beach and caught nothing so i must be doing something wrong tho i'm not sure how to even properly attach these rigs securely on to the line :confused: and also what weights do i need to use and how far up the line do i attach them ?
As you can see i did say Novice i actually feel embaressed posting this but i need to start somewhere :D

Thanks for reading and for any advice given.
Cheers weeshuggy.

·
Registered
224 Posts
welcome to the forum shug. i presume the cod and mackeral rigs you've bought are "traces". a line with 3 or 4 hooks with feathers or tinsel attached? if so the thing to do is tie the trace to the end of your line and put either a weight or heavy spinner, or wedge lure on the end of the trace. thats pretty much it, just cast out and reel in. the feathers represent small fish which will hopefully be taken buy bigger fish. it may be worth your while buying a seafishing magazine to see how to tie the trace and weight on, or even go to the library and get a book on fishing. you'll see how to tie the basic knots you need. good luck :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi Shuggy,

welcome to the forum.

Fergal is spot on with his theory and I would suggest you stick to fishing froma pier to start off. You won't need to cast too far to catch something.

Keep an eye out in Bargain Books for fishing literature.

I picked up a great fishing encyclopedia for £5 and it detailled game fishing, coars and sea.

Good luck and don't give up hope.

Some good spots to try - Red Bay (Waterfoot), Glenarm, Ardglass and Newcastle pier.

GG

1 - 3 of 3 Posts