even my 3 to 4 years my old rariums still run fine
no rust or probs
the stella gets the same treatment
lets be honest iif a reel cost a few hundred and lasts a couple of years
thats fine by me
i buy vans cheap around 400 couple of years in the scrap job done
john i will look after the stella

promise lols bazzc
If you think about guys, not in waders, fishing from a beach, structures, rocks etc, trying to net or grab the leader, that's where the problem is, it's easily done if you're not experienced in the excitement of landing a fish. Also, pollock spots that are deep dropoffs.

Cheers

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
If you think about guys, not in waders, fishing from a beach, structures, rocks etc, trying to net or grab the leader, that's where the problem is, it's easily done if you're not experienced in the excitement of landing a fish. Also, pollock spots that are deep dropoffs.

Cheers
after near 50 years of bassing
nothing rearly fazzes me about landing fish big or small
when i first started out my first time mentor auther weitzel
would clout me around the head
if i paniced or pratted about
the same with stu arnold pollack fishing
if u stuck u would get a whak

Reactions: Kennedy

·
Registered
667 Posts
That's obviously written in relation to boat angling. Applicable to all types of fishing but i think the angle of the rod is going to vary dependent upon rod length and action. A 15 ft rod hooked up to a large fish by a short angler is going to be very hard work at a butt angle of 45 degrees ,whereas an 8ft parabolic lure rod on a 10lb tuna wouldn't.

I don't think i have ever seen someone breaking a rod on a fish before, is it a significant problem ?

I also use the term "high sticking" for rod position when lure fishing when it can be used along with retrieve speed and technique to make most lures fish on or near the surface, is that incorrect ?
SD

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
it's easily done when your trying get the fish close to you to land it. its very natural to increase the angle of the rod to the sea in an attempt to bring the fish closer especially if your wading.

Reactions: rockhopper 1956

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
after near 50 years of bassing
nothing rearly fazzes me about landing fish big or small
when i fish started out my first time mentor auther weitzel
would clout me around the head
if i paniced or pratted about
the same with stu arnold pollack fish
if u stuck u would get a whak
You sound experienced.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's obviously written in relation to boat angling. Applicable to all types of fishing but i think the angle of the rod is going to vary dependent upon rod length and action. A 15 ft rod hooked up to a large fish by a short angler is going to be very hard work at a butt angle of 45 degrees ,whereas an 8ft parabolic lure rod on a 10lb tuna wouldn't.

I don't think i have ever seen someone breaking a rod on a fish before, is it a significant problem ?

I also use the term "high sticking" for rod position when lure fishing when it can be used along with retrieve speed and technique to make most lures fish on or near the surface, is that incorrect ?
SD
Its certainly for boat, though in lochs, fyords and deep dropoffs for pollock or coalies its pretty applicable. One guy told me who got through two or 3 rods, I think Yamaga and Tenryu but, the brand doesn’t matter, none are designed to push the tip toward the reel. I’ve also know someone do it with a tope on with a long beach caster, he was trying to grab the leader and the fish took off. Rod
Was pointed at 6 o’clock and the fish swam off at 12.

I am not sure on the term, it makes sense to call retrieving at a high angle the same term but, I’ve always know having a rod high fighting a fish as high-sticking. Usually a boat skipper will shout at you.

Cheers

·
13,191 Posts
You sound experienced.
maybe mate
was taught by the best
shore and boat auther weitzel and john darling
lures graham hill mark padders lols
and im still learning off others
my first ever sea fish was a seven pound bass
never looked back
trouble is now work and family commitments get in the way
still year and a half
i get me bus pass and £103 a week pension
fishing galore pmsfl

Reactions: Kennedy

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
maybe mate
was taught by the best
shore and boat auther weitzel and john darling
lures graham hill mark padders lols
and im still learning off others
my first ever sea fish was a seven pound bass
never looked back
trouble is now work and family commitments get in the way
still year and a half
i get me bus pass and £103 a week pension
fishing galore pmsfl
I just thought of all the guys who don’t have a teacher or mentor and have to work it all out the hard way. The forum is great for sharing info, its a great resource.

Cheers

·
13,191 Posts
I just thought of all the guys who don’t have a teacher or mentor and have to work it all out the hard way. The forum is great for sharing info, its a great resource.

Cheers
and so it is
graham on my first year of lure fishing
could only take me a few times due to illness
i had a schoolie on my first trip
then because he wasnt about
things went down hill fast nothing else the first year
then second year i was working mostley
at dungee in kent for our mod gordie si
at his b&b
shingle beaches
40 blanks in a row brain dead
third year back with graham and words of wisdom from mark
total 227
cracked it
now its not so much about the fishing
its about being out there with me mates
but i still yearn for that lure caught double lols

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
It has me puzzled why it's such a common thing in the UK "high sticking" perhaps because this is what's done in most UK fishing shows. 45' will win over hard fighting fish so much easier, not to mention how much harder it is to break a rod doing so. Must admit I also did it to a certain degree before I first moved over here but the calibre of fish here will soon destroy high sticking.

I think it's also a showing off style to try and make small fish look powerful and exciting, hence why it's done in the tv shows.

·
Registered
861 Posts
i cant understand how u can high stick
most of the time wading
im afraid i dunk the bottom section
reel and all.
but then my reels are flushed and cleaned after each trip
no rust or probs
thats fine by me

promise lols bazzc
The equation is something like..

High sticking probability = rod length cms / inside leg cms

Anything greater than '3' you're in trouble and need a shorter rod or longer legs to compensate..

V scientific, honestly..

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I personally think High Sticking from the shore is unavoidable in some situations, if you're thinking about snapping your rod, whilst trying to land a fish, chances are you won't land the fish. I think the danger zone is when you go for the line grab, and to do that you raise the rod vertical, bad timing, rogue wave. It's worse fishing at night.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
I personally think High Sticking from the shore is unavoidable in some situations, if you're thinking about snapping your rod, whilst trying to land a fish, chances are you won't land the fish. I think the danger zone is when you go for the line grab, and to do that you raise the rod vertical, bad timing, rogue wave. It's worse fishing at night.

From the shore with the rod vertical and the line out towards the horizon isn't actually high sticking due to the angle of the line. If you were to do that with a beach rod and the fish at your feet then yes you would be high sticking and dramatically risking a break. The thing is many transfer that same style over to the boat with a fish directly under the boat.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From the shore with the rod vertical and the line out towards the horizon isn't actually high sticking due to the angle of the line. If you were to do that with a beach rod and the fish at your feet then yes you would be high sticking and dramatically risking a break. The thing is many transfer that same style over to the boat with a fish directly under the boat.
You get the issue in deep fjords or lochs Jon, the line enters the water directly below the rod tip, regardless of whether you are 2m out or 100m out, because the depth. Its just like being on a boat. People get a big skate or shark on and instinctively goto vertical or even beyond and thats when the issue occurs. You never get that on a gradually shelving beach.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
i cant understand how u can high stick
most of the time wading
im afraid i dunk the bottom section
reel and all.
but then my reels are flushed and cleaned after each trip
no rust or probs
thats fine by me

promise lols bazzc
I guarantee you have high-sticked a lure rod when landing a fish before. Every single lure angler I see fighting and landing bass has done it. Some do it a lot, some only occasionally, and none of them realises that they are doing it.

Bear in mind that I am so often looking at anglers fishing through a viewfinder, so I see a lot more than most anglers. I bet you any money if I photographed you landing say ten bass that at least once your rod would be beyond the vertical as such, and therefore you are high-sticking. Most times it won't matter, and as much as I love our bass it's not as if they are a bonefish for example - and these are the kings of breaking fly rods with anglers high-sticking as they try to land these fish which are always thrashing around. But if a bass say drops out of the hand on a tight line and the rod is beyonf the vertical then chances are it's going to break.

I have done it, indeed I broke a rod a couple of years ago doing it. It was 100% my fault and I only wish that somebody had been filming me because it would have been a textbook example of how not to land a bass!

Anglers do plenty of things they don't even realise they are doing. I would hazard a guess that 99.99999999999% of broken fishing rod are due to angler error and that a certain percentage of time we don't even realise we have made the mistake to break it. The other percentage I would suggest is anglers knowing they have done wrong but refusing to fess up, but that's a whole different subject!

You have high-sticked and you will continue to high-stick at least some of the time, but you won't even know you are doing it.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
its unavoidable in a lot of situations even when using a net off rocks and the like , just make sure the fish is well played out before you do , minimise the pressure reduce the risk

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
It simple maths, you have a 9 ft rod or more, you hold the rod above the reel that's the fish 8 ft away from you with the rod horizontal. How do you get the fish in closer to you without lifting the rod taking into account your other hand has let go and can't reel in line. Even at 45 degrees the fish is 4 ft away from you, A landing net will give you the upper hand but you still have to be careful

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Learned to avoid high sticking as a kid...

Cos .. if you were to snap yer rod .. there'd be no 'bail out' with a 'new' rod...
.....unaffordable for ages .. so fishing days would be over!

Have since watched many of the Japanese rod maker vids of their pro anglers 'swinging up' doubles ! Seabass , Yellowtail, etc.
That's the way to do it!
Same techniques...but without the additional motivation of 'poverty' making you even more careful.

Have also seen idiots snap high end 'rough ground' beachcasters.. high sticking a South Wales.. rough ground snag!
Very clever!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts