World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I travel a lot around Scottish Highland and very often I see really nice estuaries where I would like to fish. I am mainly targeting Sea Trouts. I wrote to some estate agents but either they do not reply or had no idea what I was talking about which is kind of strange as I do fish a lot in estuaries around Inverness like Ness, Bealy, Conon river to name few. I was wondering if anyone here have experience and local knowledge about estuaries in Highland region? West cost especially. I would like to know place and where I can buy permit.

I do understand that in some remote areas 99% people is not interested fishing in river mouths but if some one like me is and like to do it fully legal it is impossible to find accurate information, well any information really.

Thanks!

· Registered
1,316 Posts
It's the District Fisheries Boards you need to be aware of and make contact with imo. Esturial fishing rights are considered 'public' in general but the migratory species like salmon and sea trout are subject to exception where DFBs have made application on conservation grounds. It's a well muted topic that is often subject to debate.
In my opinion if you fish with morals and don't slaughter fish then good luck to you. But be aware that they are a rare commodity and need treating with due respect. Just like everything else on this global village of a planet we share

· Registered
5,865 Posts
If you contact the fishery board of the river attached to that estuary you should be pointed in right direction.
If you can find the right areas along the coast, well away from rivers you'll be surprised how many sea trout remain inshore feeding on the bait along our coast.

· Registered
1,170 Posts
I agree with Piker, although a I've done a lot of Stillwater fly fishing I have had a go in the salt and one of my most memorable trips was on the Isl;e of Hoy. I had gone up to Orkney to catch up with an old pal and he suggest some sea trout fishing in the salt water while I had a day to spare.
Having fly fished for them in freshwater at night I was conscious of how finnicky they can be. Not so in the salt!! We were fishing in sunshine in gin clear water over clean mixed bottom with various lures (similar to a whisky fly) on intermediates - water was only 2'-3'. over a couple of hours we landed 11 varying sizes but up to 2 1/2lbs !! No fear in these fish at all, it was really good sport and certainly changed my view of seatrout! If I had not been taken there given the time of day and conditions I would not even have considered casting a fly!!

· Registered
5,865 Posts
Yeah, they are proper killers in the salt. Biggest mistake is to fish too small from jan -mar. Had some big trout on 5inch streamers.

· Registered
80 Posts
any river with a beach on it will produce seatrouts. we catch plenty during the day on flounder gear and spinner. I would try big flashy streamers , silver. If you are on a sandy beach with rocks at the sides, try around the rocks. Be aware there are big ones around 5lbs is not uncommon , biggest 14lbs. If you dont get a seatrout, you could get some bass.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.