World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My wife and I will be backpacking the UK from Bristol, far north to the Shetland islands. We begin our trek June 8th and continue till late August (2019). I have packed a fly rod and would really like to land a pike on the fly. If I can land a 30 inch pike I’d be stoked but topping my grandfathers all time best at 46 inches would be icing on the cake. After some forum research I discovered several lochs that are said to hold good pike. I am still slightly unaware of the permits required and how that works. The lochs I have discovered are in the Dumfries and Aviemore area. (Three lochs, Garwachie, Mossdale, Kirk).....(Morlich, Alvie, Insh) I have seen forum posts mentioning the fishing being far better the further north you go...??? We will have the equipment to camp remotely so I don’t mind hiking in somewhere that requires a days travel. Anyways I will try my luck and would love to hear any input as well as connect with anyone who would like to share a day/two of fishing or outdoor activities. My direct email is [email protected]. Thank you!
(I also love photographing animals)

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Hi Kelvin, you may wish to copy and paste your post in the Scotland Catch Reports and the Kayak Angling sections of the forums? that way you are likely to get info from locals and those who regularly fish the lochs from their kayaks?
I wish you well on your travels. I backpacked John o' Groats to Lands End in 2000 myself, took me seven weeks doing 25 miles a day. You are in for some epic scenery. I'm just about to set off now for Scotlands North West coast, Skye and Mull, before heading north and then along the northern coast for a few weeks solitude, just me and my faithful Patterdale, camping and beach fishing as we go.
Permit wise, from my experience, you'll not go far wrong asking at any village post office you happen upon as lots of places are in private ownership but you can usually get a day ticket there. Have a great time buddy, regards Geoff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kelvin, you may wish to copy and paste your post in the Scotland Catch Reports and the Kayak Angling sections of the forums? that way you are likely to get info from locals and those who regularly fish the lochs from their kayaks?
I wish you well on your travels. I backpacked John o' Groats to Lands End in 2000 myself, took me seven weeks doing 25 miles a day. You are in for some epic scenery. I'm just about to set off now for Scotlands North West coast, Skye and Mull, before heading north and then along the northern coast for a few weeks solitude, just me and my faithful Patterdale, camping and beach fishing as we go.
Permit wise, from my experience, you'll not go far wrong asking at any village post office you happen upon as lots of places are in private ownership but you can usually get a day ticket there. Have a great time buddy, regards Geoff.
Thank you for the info.

·
Banned
2,660 Posts
If you're backpacking up from Bristol, you may find yourself passing through or near Burford, in Oxfordshire. You can get day tickets from the Orvis store in Burford to fish the River Windrush at the bottom of the Hill, just outside the village. The ticket is quite reasonably priced (less than £10 when I fished it last a couple of years ago). That stretch of river is where I had my first pike on the fly. A big, bushy EP fly in dayglo pink worked for me that day.

Wherever you try, don't forget to use a wire leader or you'll get bitten off.

Edited to say I just saw the date of your trip - you may have passed Burford already. Good luck wherever you find to fish.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Just for your info for nothern pike, there is pretty much no pike north of Inverness.
Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dave Lindsey on here would be a good guy to talk to as he does a lot of Pike fly fishing and makes some incredible fly's . Rod wise at least a 9 weight , I prefer a 10 . You want around 4 ft of stiff leader , I find Seaguar 19ibs fluorocarbon good , and then 18-20 inches of trace . I make my own using Savage Gear knotable wire but Fulling mill make them with small clips to change out the fly which is handy . Line wise a floater and an intermediate or sink tip covers most situations with 100 mts of 30ibs backing on a decent drag reel . Tool wise a decent set of forceps in 8 and 12 inch although on the fly the fish are almost always mouth hooked so normal forceps or long nosed pliers are adequate , a decent sized net and unhooking mat if fishing from the bank and you are good to go . It's fantastic sport even with smaller Jack's and a big girl will really give you a good pull . Good luck .

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Out of interest i just looked at the length to weight scale for a 46" pike and it ranges between 26 and 44 pounds , full of spawn in a couple of months time it could be over 50 !

A very good target from your grandfathers to top !

I hope you get one !:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
South side of the loch, there's a rocky outcrop with a fence running along it separating it from the estate lodge (you can see the estate on your right when you stand on it.) there's a fairly deep drop off about 20-30 metres in front of you looking across the loch. My mates have had some good size fish from there (double figures) but we've also had plenty blanks. Spinners work nicely too, hooking up plenty jacks. Have to say though that the gamekeeper has been getting pretty aggravated by the increased rubbish lying around the place - beer cans, etc. not to insinuate that anyone on here would do that but I felt needed mentioning. There are also rumours of perch knocking about on the north side of the loch near the inlet of the wee burn under the bridge there but I've yet to catch one. I've circled the spot on the attached screenshot.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try next week and will let you know if I have any luck there, I know lochindorb well as have walked around it many time and this will save a longer journey as had planned to go up to Loch cluanie reference to your point of rubbish being left I to have seen that very often.....
I've recently got back into pike fishing again it's been a good 7 years since I've been fishing, but unfortunately have had a few blanks with pike, years ago I often went to Loch luchiart, loch achanalt and loch a chuillin with often good catches there but have also seen alot of rubbish and mess that has been left alot fairly recently judging by the condition of it!!!
Its a shame as these spots used to be so tidy

·
Registered
25 Posts
One of my bug bears I'm afraid, hate it when people can't take their rubbish home. I have an Findhorn Association river ticket and have cleared a fair bit of it from there too.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try next week and will let you know if I have any luck there, I know lochindorb well as have walked around it many time and this will save a longer journey as had planned to go up to Loch cluanie reference to your point of rubbish being left I to have seen that very often.....
I've recently got back into pike fishing again it's been a good 7 years since I've been fishing, but unfortunately have had a few blanks with pike, years ago I often went to Loch luchiart, loch achanalt and loch a chuillin with often good catches there but have also seen alot of rubbish and mess that has been left alot fairly recently judging by the condition of it!!!
Its a shame as these spots used to be so tidy
It got worse and worse in the 3yrs we were in Inverness. Lots of small dead pike being left in the margins too.
Ruined a couple of spots I liked as the rubbish and fires and bbq stuff was everywhere and the fish were clearly being removed for the table no matter the size

1 - 14 of 14 Posts