World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out on the kayak this morning over a local reef, taking advantage of the great weather we're having. I suspected bass were in the area as I approached, around 50 gulls were flying around and picking things off the surface. As I got closer I saw sandeels breaking surface with lots of swirls and splashes around them. Quickly clipped a Patchinko 100 on and started casting. I was only there for 45 minutes before the bass departed but I must have had over 20 swirls/ hits on the lure which only resulted in 2 small bass. I've had this in the past when the culprits turned out to be garfish but these were definitely bass, I could see them.

What's going on here, are Patchinkos particularly bad hookers?

·
Registered
11,513 Posts
I had a similar experience recently. Stood in the water in the darkness myself and my mate had fish topping and splashing all around us. Even in between us. The gulls were sat picking things off the water when we arrived. First cast on a 125mm soft plastic i had a hit. A nice fish at 52cm. For the next hour we tried everything in our boxes but couldnt get a hit. and the fish were still feeding next to us. As the tide turned they moved off.
I had kept that first fish for home. When gutted it was stuffed full of tiny 2in sandeels. No wonder they wer'nt interested in our much larger lures.
Ive since made up a load of small teasers should we find ourselves in that same situation. Had i had my tiny 5g lures im certain they would have worked also.

·
Registered
24 Posts
@dabcatcher interested to how you have rigged your teasers to fish a situation like that?

I have both Teasers (12cm 8g) and Wrassers (10cm 6g) but (so far) have used them only on jig heads

Thank you, Andrew

·
Registered
11,513 Posts
@dabcatcher interested to how you have rigged your teasers to fish a situation like that?

I have both Teasers (12cm 8g) and Wrassers (10cm 6g) but (so far) have used them only on jig heads

Thank you, Andrew
Ive made them up from a set of sabiki lures [ The type with the little rubber fish]. Cut the lures off leaving a short hooklength. This is folded over to form a very small look as close to the lure as possible. A crimp is used on the line with the loop end also going through the crimp. Once crimped up theres just a tiny loop at the end of the lure. If you use a mini link on the end of your braid mainline The teaser is clipped on this. A short leader to another clip for your lure. Ive started to add a tiny metal ring to the loop to give it more movement.
So the teaser has no weight and wont effect the casting or movement of the main lure. For a bigger hook just use a different size lure. Something like a mackerel feather

·
Registered
25,132 Posts
Two inch white redgill on a bombarda/bubble float! Works when the bass are feeding on tiny sandeels and ignoring other stuff.

Reactions: Pete Gordon

·
Registered
11,513 Posts
I find a small white seeker is great for that , it flutters like a bait fish
If i know im in an area where they are feeding on tiny fish i use a lighter set up with 5 and 8g savage gear 3d minnows. Just bought a load of 12g seekers in case i need a little more distance

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
If i know im in an area where they are feeding on tiny fish i use a lighter set up with 5 and 8g savage gear 3d minnows. Just bought a load of 12g seekers in case i need a little more distance
The 28gm and 23gm are great seekers as well fly a long way

1 - 10 of 10 Posts