World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a serving memeber of the Armed forces and would like to get a feel of what your opinions are on how much support we would get from tackle shops and manufacturers for raffle prizes please.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As we have our annual match over 2 days in September we are trying to collect some raffle prizes. We do donate to the Help 4 Heros so hopefully we can get some donations. If anyone is willing to donate then plz PM me

·
Registered
795 Posts
I used to run the raffle very successfully in the last 7-8 years of my army career when based in the SW. A good way to approach this is to go back to the AAF website and post on there. The guys who are out and about spending money in their local tackle shop will have a better chance of securing a donation as they will have built up a rapport with their local dealer. Its harder in the present financial climate to get a tackle shop to give up a prize if you are not giving them some trade back. I had built up good rapports with tackle shops accross the south coast and S Wales cause i was being a regular customer. I would only ask for a small donation and leave it up to them and did pretty well as i was visiting regularly and I also negotiated good deals on tackle with the local shops as well. I used to donate any money that was left over from the raffle to the local RNLI station that was close to the match venues. I still have some good contacts and if i can help you in any way then PM me.

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
Hi dude.

I think it's a but unfair to assume that because nobody has replied to this thread, that none of us care about the forces.

The truth is that we don't have to care but, the majority of us do. Just because we don't reply in droves doesn't suggest anything bad at all. It's more likely that people read it and thought "how the hell should I know, get on the blower and email and start asking suppliers etc." it's nothing personal but I would also expect that people can see you're a relatively new member and just don't know you, we've been down this road with some unscrupulous chaps and are understandably cautious when it comes to giving.

I actually find your "no one cares" remark quite offensive. I for one have donated ££££'s worth of time and goods to angling events, comps, raffles etc, nearly all are h4h or rnli. there are those who put more time into organising / raising money for the troops than you'd ever believe. All that is done on top of daily workloads etc. No one is paid to spend all their free time organising events or raising funds for people we dont know, doing a job they chose to do... but we still do, suggesting otherwise is insulting to those people who may not 'give their all', but certainly go far out if their way to make a difference to injured servicemen.

If i were you I would get onto suppliers, shops etc and simply ask. As mickb said though, shops are generally more inclined to help if they know who you are, have details of the event which prove it's existence and are going to somehow get a bit of recognition for their generous (regardless of value) donation. think about what you're offering the donator, even if it's just a listing on a website and the match day score sheet or the like. Would you simply give a stranger something without knowing anything about them?

Hugh

·
Registered
207 Posts
Chaps,
As a soldier with over 23 years service, I would like to apologise for the remarks made by my unlearned, ungrateful friend above. I can assure you that all service anglers,and servicemen in general are VERY VERY grateful for the fantastic support given by the general public. I know of numerous tackle shops/charter skippers and charities (i.e www.fishingforforces.org/Moonfleet Angling) that are constantly battling and giving up their time and money on behalf of the service community. Time are hard and this is not give give give society, perhaps Soldier 123 should put his hand in his pocket..........

Tight lines, from a very grateful,

Smudger

·
Registered
795 Posts
I would always take away plenty of the shops business cards and distribute them during the army champs and recommend them on the AAF web site as well. A small gesture from a tackle shop can go a long way at a large shore event and more often than not i would contact the shops and let them know the results which they appreciated.

·
Registered
21,538 Posts
Chaps,
As a soldier with over 23 years service, I would like to apologise for the remarks made by my unlearned, ungrateful friend above. I can assure you that all service anglers,and servicemen in general are VERY VERY grateful for the fantastic support given by the general public. I know of numerous tackle shops/charter skippers and charities (i.e www.fishingforforces.org/Moonfleet Angling) that are constantly battling and giving up their time and money on behalf of the service community. Time are hard and this is not give give give society, perhaps Soldier 123 should put his hand in his pocket..........

Smudger
:fishing1: Thanks for your honest reply. After 22 years in the RN and a member of the RN sea angling team for many years and one time Chairman of the Portsmouth RNRMAA I found shops and businesses, not just angling related, to be very generous when it came to donating prizes. As said earlier, leave it to local representatives to do the touting for prizes as they will have a rapport with their local tackle shops, nobody likes to get hit out of the blue by somebody they don't know, no matter how good the cause. I have provided many prizes in the past, mainly for juniors and the disabled and have found that sometimes the prizes didn't make their way on to the prize table, so it made me very wary of what I donated and to who. The other "side effect" of donating is that you then get on to a list of "soft touches" and get hit several times a week and when you decline to donate because you've run out of prizes, because I wasn't a tackle shop, you then get the "emotional blackmail", or, you donated to such and such, what have you got against us? The personal touch is the way to go, believe me, it works. :fishing1:

·
Global Moderator
7,083 Posts
Chaps,

Smudger
Certainly no need to apologise for one fellas off post, but very noble of you to do so, thank you. I fish with lots of fellas from the forces teams in the fly fishing world...Royal Navy Marines, Fish Hawks (RAF), and the Soldier Palmers (Army team). All top blokes and with the carp you fellas have to work through you deserve as much support from us civvies as we can give, even though the sh1te Hawks wear girls clothes and the Palmers couldn't fish a dry fly in the sahara.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
doesnt sound like theres much support for the troops then
You could try contacting some of the shops around plymouth. With the RN and marines on the doorstep, i can assure you that they are well supported by the public,from all angles, be it for sport,politics, or what is currently going on around the world.

I know a few that fish down here in the services and they have organised help for heroes matches that have been well supported by shops, local anglers with both entries and prizes.

I see no reason why, with the right approach you wouldnt have bags of support,but your best bet is too speak to the shops yourself, put posters up and invite the fishing public to have a dangle alongside members of the best services this world is likely to see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts