World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>Me and my mate were really excited about this one. He has developed a conger fetish to go with my ray obsession, and large beasts of both types are a feature of this mark. We had the bait, the rigs, a good tide - and had one doggie. Ray and conger had been contacted by other anglers at a mark nearby only a few days before. What happened? The only reason (excuse) we could find was that the wind had become more easterly and the temperature had dropped.

Do east winds always result in bad fishing? Is it just a Welsh thing? Is it just an excuse to avoid fishing when its cold?

We&#39;ll be back. When it warms up a bit.

Cheers,
Rhod
</font>

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
<font color='#000000'>Since this trip it seems that someone had a bit more joy than us. Unconfirmed report of two thornies (6 lbs and 10 lbs) caught from the same mark during the past week. Also fish of 4 lbs, 2x 5 lbs and 6lbs from a Milford mark. It appears that the ray are well and truly in. With a realistic chance of a 15 lb+ ray things are looking good. Also some big whiting still around Milford and vague rumours of codling from Hobb&#39;s.

Rhod.</font>

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Do you know how the Neyland marks have been fishing recently? When fishing Hobb&#39;s point how far do you need to cast to catch ray and is it best to fish for the conger just off the side of the wall, where on the point is the best place to fish for them?</font>

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font color='#000000'>To be perfectly honest about Hobb&#39;s, I haven&#39;t got a clue. I&#39;ve known about the place for years but being a northerner I couldn&#39;t get over my fear of crossing the Cleddau bridge. The local angling shops may be able to give you more specific info. Our approach was just to turn up and fish.
As for Neyland marks, again I would suggest asking at the local shops as they should have up to date info. All I will say is that it has been a bit cold recently and cod are a cold water fish. There&#39;s some nice neaps coming up next weekend so try any of the headlands or jetties from Dale up to Burton. Some local boys have tried this and some lucky sod came away with an 8 lber.

Cheers,
Rhod:p</font>

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font color='#000000'>Further to Fishing Fanatic&#39;s request for info, I got talking to a bloke the other day and he told me some info about Hobb&#39;s. Apparently the conger roam freely and can turn up anywhere. However, if you want the cod you have to fish from the left side of the mark and cast to a buoy in front of you. This happens to coincide with a depression in the seabed. Anywhere else and you&#39;re wasting your time. Don&#39;t know whether this applies to the ray as well. Haven&#39;t had a chance to confirm this as yet but when I return I&#39;ll follow this advice and see if it makes a difference.

Cheers,
Rhod.</font>

·
BASSIN ASSASSIN
2,636 Posts
Some HUGE EELS r at this VERY deep and ROUGH mark but if u put the hours in and fish HEAVY enough ul get results theres a few eels here that some anglers have hooked and thought they were snagged on the bottom!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts