World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished south of withernsea last night, was surprised to get 4 codling in a flat calm sea, 1 undersize, 1 just over the limit (returned), a 2lb and a 3lb. All on frozen crab. Also caught 2 dogfish and a thornback (Probably between 5 and 7lb). No bass though!

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
nice session, wouldnt mind a couple of suprises like that myself.

i think if more actually got out and tried they would get a lot more fish. too many assume that as soon as the seas die and it warms up slightly the cod will be gone:uhuh:

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers, I was beginning to think I wouldn't get anything decent this spring!
I missed some belting bites that I'm pretty sure were more codling, so there were plenty of them about, a better angler could have really bagged up

the codling seem to be hanging around longer in recent years. I remember catching some in June last year on a flat calm night, again on frozen crab.

Surprisingly little crab activity for such a calm night, I did pull in one small velvet, and the bigger codling had 2 identical velvets in its stomach, one still alive. It had its claws fastened to the cod's stomach lining, that must have been painful!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well done Graeme,
Good for you, over on that coastline myself on Friday so I hope they do hang on a while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts