World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all, on May 26th the family and i are going to Thorness Bay holiday park on the IOW.
I am after ideas for the best (safe and easy access) fishing venues around the island,
What Bait, tactics and what can i expect to catch.
Cheers ,
Adrian

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
thats where i stayed just recently, Nick whatsisname took us out for a night too, i'm sure he'd help you out if his leg is better by then !

they're a good bunch of lads over there, we did do a little fishing in the bay itself, but didn't catch owt, wrong tides apparently, good spot for plaice too, check it out at low water though, the tides there are strange, it went from high to low, and only went 20ft dow the beach where we went ! not 200yrs like you or i are used to with larger tide ranges tween 6 and 8.5 for us, and 7-11 for you lot down there ! takes some getting used too !

we were advised to walk around the left hand corner of the bay, good for bass and smoothound apparently, you should time it better than us, the south side was fishing better when we went, check out beacchandboat.co.uk, lots of IOW reports on there.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
HI all, on May 26th the family and i are going to Thorness Bay holiday park on the IOW.
I am after ideas for the best (safe and easy access) fishing venues around the island,
Cheers ,
Adrian
Hi K.A.O.S
The bay at where you are staying is full of rag worm so if you can bring a fork then job is a goodun.
You can expect some good sole there and the smuts should have shown by then. I have never fished there myself so i`m no expert.
If you want to have a drive over to the west wight i`m sure i could point you to a half decent mark for bass or a flatty.
Dave

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers boys will check those areas out, i do intend to fish around though, as long as wife says aye.:p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I read your post i'm going to parkresort on thorness bay on the 24th, with my wife and kids,iv'e never fished there before so if you fancy hooking up for a session or two drop me a PM, good luck with the fishing.

THE LOVE SPONGE

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Crickey almost ended up on that site as well over the bank holiday! Lucky for you lot that I wouldn't pay the rip off ferry charges over that weekend! Almost double the normal charge because its bank holiday!

Anyway I was over there last year and fished Totland bay which is a nice easy access mark to fish day or night. I was told that it was possible to catch Sole at night and Bass day or night there. We only managed a Wrasse but it was a good day and there is a pub close to hand!

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I would skip totland.
There is a ray boom happening on the southern beaches but its a bit to rough to fish them at the moment. It is calming down over the next few days fingers crossed.
Try your luck at ....
Atherfield
chale bay
compton
brook

·
Registered
183 Posts
Cheers ,
Adrian
Dunno but make sure you take them to a restaurant in Shanklin called La Vaca Loca, its amazing

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
Crickey almost ended up on that site as well over the bank holiday! Lucky for you lot that I wouldn't pay the rip off ferry charges over that weekend! Almost double the normal charge because its bank holiday!
LOL....of course it is !! double pay and a day in leue for the ferry staff, has to be paid for somehow !!

it does seem a popular site though, we got an 8 berth for 5 days (tues to sat) thru ebay for around £100 on the easter bank holiday weekend, we later had the monday thrown in free of charge, the ferry cost more, but we'd saved a couple of hundred anyways,

when i got back, a colleague of mine was just off the iow, when he got back it turned out he'd had the caravan next to ours, think his was a sun holiday for £10 or whatever they are.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts