World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right then. I've just booked a holiday (27th August) near Fairboune. What can I expect to catch? I've checked the old Clive Gammon guide and it seems depressingly featureless and bassy/flatfishy. Without cliffs/rocks I feel agoraphobic!
Even better, if you fancy a session or two around then send me a PM with contact details. Help us please!

Yours feeling-distressed-that-I've-chosen-the-only-place-in-Wales-with-no-rock-platforms-and-not-particularly-keen-on-surf-fishingly,

Rhod.

PS Turbot?

·
Registered
37 Posts
hi m8
try the barmouth railway bridge, park barmouth side and a short walk to bridge i dont think there is a charge, heavey leads required , because of estuary mouth,
good bass on the day, best of luck m8
derek..............................

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,009 Posts
LOL Fishingrhod

I live in Fairbourne mate! Barmouth bridge is one of the classic marks, as it Barmouth North Beach and also Fairbourne Beach itself. You get plenty of stuff off the beach in the summer. Make sure you bring a fly rod for the mackerel on the beach during August, its a good laugh, you may also be able to deploy it on the bass too :D

I'll PM you some marks over later mate ;) Remind me if I forget.

I'll leave you with these to start with:
http://www.worldseafishing.com/wales/fairbourne.shtml

http://www.worldseafishing.com/wales/barmouth.shtml

Mike Jr :D

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
Hi Rhod,

If conditions are OK (basically you need an inshore wind and decent bit of surf) come over for a session down at Borth. Should be in with a chance of small-eyed rays, plus if you're lucky a nice turbot and if even luckier a nice bass at that time of year, plus various flounders, doggies etc. You don't need long casts here so can fish with a light beachcaster or bass rod, which makes hooking into a decent ray quite an experience!

If it's calm there is a rock mark S of Borth although you're fishing onto sand but it can produce unusual shore species like greater weevers and gurnards.

PM me if you need contact details (can't remember if you have them!).

And let's hope the mackerel show inshore this coming summer. The last season was dire for them.

Cheers - John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all.
I am going for a weeks holiday in Borth nextweek and want to do a couple of days/nights fishing with my 9yr old son.
Does anyone have any information on beach fishing locations, Baits and rigs ect to use.

Any info will be great.

Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
Hi Tim,

Borth beach is not too great right now apart from the odd undersized turbot & flounder. At night the doggies should be there and ray possible (bit early really). Sandeel or mackerel take these.

Not much sign of a major crab-peel just yet but it can't be long now. Once that starts, bass (mostly schoolies) & flounder to crab in the Dyfi Estuary opposite Aberdyfi on the flood. Best if the water's choppy. Weed often makes fishing impossible after a few hours as the flood current gets stronger, so aim to get there for low water and fish the first 3 hours of the flood.

South of Borth, a rocky reef offers LW marks but NOT SAFE in a rough sea. Slippery rock and loose cliffs in places so watch yourself! Close-in you might pick up a bass, at longer range on the cleaner ground doggies, possibly ray, small dabs. This is a good mackerel area in summer and also produces Greater Weever and Gurnards at that time of year. Worth knowing for future reference!

Edit: so far as rigs go a 2-hook paternoster does the job at all venues and if fishing Borth beach keep your bait within the surf ie. don't cast beyond it!

Good luck,

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts