World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be having my annual pilgrimage to Porthmadoc for a caravan holiday the first two weeks of June. Last year had a few good sessions at Borth -y -Gest, Blackrock, Pwllwelli marina and gimblet rock. Found a shop to purchase frozen baits, Some rocks to collect peeler crab and a beach to dig clams and now I know how to charm razor fish have a good idea where to get them but I struggled for Rag and lug worm to buy or collect. I usually fish dawn and dusk so that leaves me free in the day with the kids...when we collect bait.

Can anybody point me in the direction of beaches / esturaries where I can dig my own worm(I need to collect it on the day I fish as I have no way of storing it, or failing that shops where i can buy it. Both shops in Portmadoc were closed when I was here last year. PM me if you dont want the worm areas broadcast.

·
Registered
11,520 Posts
there is a tackle shop in plwhelli.

i will also be there in the second week in june fishing a few times in plwhelli.

we might bump into each other i will be in a group of 5 - 7 anglers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
sheffields of criccieth always have plenty of bait and are very helpfull with advice.
try the powder house on blackrock sands,but not when the jetskis are about.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sheffields of criccieth always have plenty of bait and are very helpfull with advice.
try the powder house on blackrock sands,but not when the jetskis are about.
Where abouts in cricieth is Sheffields is that the hardware store? All I could get from there last year was frozen bait.
I am familiar with black rock sands, but not the powder house???? What is it??

·
Registered
43 Posts
Powder house is the building at the very far end of Black rock sand towards Borth y Gest.
Go just round the corner agin towards borth and there is pleanty of small harbour rag in the smelly sand at low water - you can't miss it, it proper stinks! this place is called samsons bay.

Fish anywhere here low water dusk or dawn the whole estuary comes to a bottle neck here - NICE 1 ! :)

PM me if you want to meet up here , or anywhere in the locality!

·
Registered
Zziplex abu multiplier combo
33 Posts
D & E Hughes in Phwelli has rag, peeler fresh plus the usual frozen failing that then there is a dive centre near Trefor that has rag all the time.
For directions PM me

·
Registered
174 Posts
u should be able to dig some lug at porthmadog. cross over the railway and walk onto the sand at low tide. there was plenty there a few yrs ago. There used to be a load on black rock but ain too sure now. Plus u could also get a few black lug off black rock beach on a big enough tide.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
u should be able to dig some lug at porthmadog. cross over the railway and walk onto the sand at low tide. there was plenty there a few yrs ago. There used to be a load on black rock but ain too sure now. Plus u could also get a few black lug off black rock beach on a big enough tide.
I saw some casts there last year but few and far between was hoping to get some razor there at low water plenty of shells on the beach after a good blow.

Is the area over the railway safe are there cross over points ? It looked to me like it will flood v quickly, and and cut you off?

Thanks for the info I will try

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Powder house is the building at the very far end of Black rock sand towards Borth y Gest.
Go just round the corner agin towards borth and there is pleanty of small harbour rag in the smelly sand at low water - you can't miss it, it proper stinks! this place is called samsons bay.

Fish anywhere here low water dusk or dawn the whole estuary comes to a bottle neck here - NICE 1 ! :)

PM me if you want to meet up here , or anywhere in the locality!
danyboy, is samson bay the small harbour at Borth or is it the bay further round to the left or the the next bay again? will be difficult to meet up as I dont know the tides and also weather dependant, last year was up the last two weeks of may and it rained for 13 out of 14 days. It is a family holiday and I have two small boys so I either fish before they are up or when asleep at night. you wont be able to miss us on the beaches though spend most of the time looking for crabs and bait to fish with, they love it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Samsons bay:
If you walk from Black Rock beach, round the first corner towards Borth y Gest (where the powder house is + jet skis + 4x4 macho men + soft sand) there is a small bay with caravans/ posh chalets overlooking it. Plus a golf course, plus a big massive rock up on the hill. then a cave and some rock pools. (tehn teres a few other bays and 2 danger rocks and then Borth itself! Anywhere here is good. low tide the water looks like a river, as the tide comes in be sure to stay on the rock side of the water or you'll be paddling!

check this out might jog ur memory

http://www.sgeorges.clara.net/companions/porthmadog1.htm#Borth-y-Gest

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Samsons bay:
If you walk from Black Rock beach, round the first corner towards Borth y Gest (where the powder house is + jet skis + 4x4 macho men + soft sand) there is a small bay with caravans/ posh chalets overlooking it. Plus a golf course, plus a big massive rock up on the hill. then a cave and some rock pools. (tehn teres a few other bays and 2 danger rocks and then Borth itself! Anywhere here is good. low tide the water looks like a river, as the tide comes in be sure to stay on the rock side of the water or you'll be paddling!

check this out might jog ur memory

http://www.sgeorges.clara.net/companions/porthmadog1.htm#Borth-y-Gest
Dany_boy9, that is probably the most informative web site apart from WSF I have seen thanks for that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts